VW Eurovan longevity question

Sherri

I'm considering the purchase of a 1995 Euro which seems to be in nice shape mechanically and cosmetically, but with 210,000 miles already on her, I'm wondering how long I can realistically expect this relationship to last.

Do these things just run forever? I'd like to take her out on weekends, show her around all my favorite climbing places, spend quality time together, but I don't want to get my heart broke if she's not going to be there for me in the long run.

Her seller(private party) is asking $14,000. Seems pricey, but maybe she's worth it?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's a V6, right? wow, $14,000 seems like an awful lot for the year and milage! That's a spicy meatball, be careful

You should get a mechanic to take a look and give you an opinion, or at least get a compression check on the engine before spending that kind of cash on a car with >200,000 miles on a gasoline engine.

Edited by robmcdan

Thanks for the link Oly. My search hadn't turned up anything. I'll check that out. :tup:

Yeah, the price for that mileage raised a red flag for me, too, but I thought it might be based either on a supply/demand thing(not many of those come up for sale 'round these parts) or on the assumption that these things keep going and going(like old Toyota's or Honda's).

Looks like the relationship may be more short-lived than I had hoped. :(

Be very cautious. I've run a lot of VWs into the ground and unfortunately have too much experience with keeping them going with high mileage. VW's are great for the first 8-10 years, then things start falling apart fast. If you have a parts car and do the work yourself, old VWs are a great option. If not, the costs of a competent mechanic will quickly bleed you dry at $70/hour.

Note: this is general VW advice - not specific to Eurovans. I've had 4 diesel Rabbits, a '98 TDI Jetta (sold) and currently have 2 '04 TDI Jettas. The Rabbits I took up to 300-350,000 miles. They took continual maintenance and required a couple parts cars. The '98 Jetta started falling apart at 180,000 miles and I dumped it.

a buddy of mine got a screaming deal on one (Eurovan) this spring, $16,500 for one not as old, with 30k miles and in great shape. I would keep looking, but agreed, they are sweet rigs.

Sounds like your buddy scored. :tup:

Yes, it seems like a good idea to keep looking, that there's still deals to be had. Too bad that Synchro on ZimZam's link is already sold. That would have been rad, except where's the kitchenette and curtains?

Mistake # 1: Anthropomorphizing your vehicles. 'She's'got WAY too many miles on 'her'. There are vehicles that survive past 210K miles...about 0.1% of them. For $14 fucking thousand bucks? OMG, walk away.

For under $10K you can get an Outback in excellent condition with 50K miles on it (I just did).

Also, you might think about your purchase when gas hits $5 a gallon; a day not very far off. It's very likely to hit $4 this summer.

Be very cautious. I've run a lot of VWs into the ground and unfortunately have too much experience with keeping them going with high mileage. VW's are great for the first 8-10 years, then things start falling apart fast. If you have a parts car and do the work yourself, old VWs are a great option. If not, the costs of a competent mechanic will quickly bleed you dry at $70/hour.

Note: this is general VW advice - not specific to Eurovans. I've had 4 diesel Rabbits, a '98 TDI Jetta (sold) and currently have 2 '04 TDI Jettas. The Rabbits I took up to 300-350,000 miles. They took continual maintenance and required a couple parts cars. The '98 Jetta started falling apart at 180,000 miles and I dumped it.

You are spot on with this. I owned a lot of VW back in the early nineties and did most the work on them myself (I love bug ins!). Still, no matter how much maintenance you give them, they go to the grave around this time.

Tell the crazy broad who's asking $14K "Uh, no thanks".