A woman's worth

archenemy

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No arguement there.

But I can't see how running around cleaning house and changing diapers means you'd make more than the head of IT.

Article was probable written by a stay at home mom that needs to be patted on the back for good work.

Yeah I saw that...looks totally bogus. They don't factor in a few things: the average housewife has neither the training nor the skill to be a "psychologist" much less a "CEO" and may in fact do more harm than good in those departments (at least my mom did!). Second, housewives don't get performance reviews--no one fires them if they slack off. Unlike CEOs, they have no real consequences for mistakes they make, except for maybe a headache when their kid cries or a stain on the carpet. Unlike psychologists, you can't sue them for messin' with your mind (though some would argue that *is* their job...)

But I just don't see how make 100K+ for that work is even close to reality when those of us with master's degrees, 10 years industry experience, etc etc etc make that much. It's not like we don't all have to go home and take care of our homes, finances, yards, investments, social obligations, volunteering commitments, family reponsibilities, etc

IMHO that is way low. stay at home moms have no benifits, no time of no vacation pay and really work 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

and i am pretty sure they did not calculate in the 1000 a night for a roll in the hay

to be qute honest whether we choose to be mommies or spend time and energy loving and contributing to the raising of other peoples children, you can not calculate the worth of a woman. no man could ever aford any of us.

IMHO that is way low. stay at home moms have no benifits, no time of no vacation pay and really work 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

and i am pretty sure they did not calculate in the 1000 a night for a roll in the hay

to be qute honest whether we choose to be mommies or spend time and energy loving and contributing to the raising of other peoples children, you can not calculate the worth of a woman. no man could ever aford any of us.

Its a dam ass hard job and I couldn't do it. Hats off if you do.

And moms do get vacations, time off, benefits through their spouses if they are married, etc.

And as a contractor, I don't get paid vacation or matching 401 or sick time or any of that. I ain't bitching b/c I chose that. Same as a mother made that choice.

I'm kind of tired of hearing this crap about stay at home parents and how valuable they are, etc... It comes across as a bunch of self-esteem building bullshit for the folks who don't have to commute, deal with workplace discrimination, or the general hassles of life in the working world.

If stay at home parents were really this busy, there would be absolutely no way a workign parent could get everything done, but somehow they do.

I agree. I think the whole thing is a sign of something else that is wrong. Maybe just that some parents feel like they need public recognition for reproducing or something strange like that? I don't know--I don't understand it. But I see these articles about once a year and wonder about it.

Yeah I saw that...looks totally bogus. They don't factor in a few things: the average housewife has neither the training nor the skill to be "psychologists" or "cEOs" and may in fact do more harm than good in those departments (at least my mom did!), and housewives don't get performance reviews--no one fires them if they slack off. Unlike CEOs, they have no real consequences for mistakes they make, except for maybe a headache when their kid cries or a stain on the carpet. Unlike psychologists, you can't sue them for messin' with your mind (though some would argue that *is* their job...)

i disagree. there is a performance review and fireing is divorce.and the real consequence to fucking up as a mom is you rais a psycopath. that is a lot of resposablity. I am not really sure how running a company is more dificult than running a family. they require different skill sets for sure. i think that when a ceo fails people lose money. when a mom fails we lose a life.

and yes i was a stay at home mom for 8 years ;)

going to work every day is so much easier. people tell me when i do a good job. they give me money, i can call in sick, and i can just take a day off because i feel like it. i am really good at leaving my office work at the office, i am a mommy all the time, even when the boys are with their dad. i never know when i am going to get the call tha someone fell off the monkey bars and broke something.

My wife stays home with our 6 mo. old. I've never seen her more spent. She straight up busts her ass, and the attention she provides our baby is worth 10X the amount listed in that article . . . not to mention all the other shit she does.

But I suppose she's not really tired because she really doesn't do anything. She's just an attention-seeker, right Seahawk?

If stay at home parents were really this busy, there would be absolutely no way a workign parent could get everything done, but somehow they do.

Working partents "get everything done" b/c someone else raises their children 8-10 hours per day.

that was just my "witty" title.

The calculation is actually about the value of the work. And no one works 24/7 forever. NOt even emergancy room docs.

sure they do. but not foever. my mom started to sleep soundly when i was about 25. ofcourse i had been out of the house for almost 10 years by then.

think of it as being on call all the time.you get paid more for being available to the company via cell phone than an hourly emplyee correct?

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

going to work every day is so much easier. people tell me when i do a good job. they give me money, i can call in sick, and i can just take a day off because i feel like it. i am really good at leaving my office work at the office, i am a mommy all the time, even when the boys are with their dad. i never know when i am going to get the call tha someone fell off the monkey bars and broke something.

Q4T. This is the exactly what my wife said last night.

I agree with Snugs on this one.

A divorce is not a firing--it is two people deciding to go in their own directions. Otherwise, you are stating that the husband is the boss and does the firing, and the wife is the employee (who is being compensated 138K).

A lot of people have had parents who failed, and they still turned out fine. There are no companies like this.

I have a lot of friends who have jobs that I would consider very, very hard. For example, my best friend is an emergency flight surgeon in the NAvy. She is in Iraq for the second time right now. Her weekly letters tell me that her job is much more difficult than I can imagine--and a lot of lives depend on her. I know there are many people like her out in the world.

I am not down on stay at home mothers, I am down on articles that try to quantify it and then tell us working folk that a stay at home mom is worth more economically than we are. Bullshit.