Favorite Zone Diet Meal(s)?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zoneing for about 3 years now and I tend to go with the simple

Meat/Eggs + fruit or veggies + black beans + macadamian nuts at most every meal. Kind of boring and not for the chef but gets the job done and easy to stick with it.

Snaks are usually just plain milk + fish oil in afternoon then fruit shake + protein powder + fish oil in evening.

Dont ignore the black beans though unless you are able to stomach 4 or 5 cups of veggies.

If you are keeping a constant insulin level (which is what the zone boils down to) you need lots less calories than you think. 3000 calories a day is a myth based on our crappy corn based insulin rolercoaster diets. Read The Omnivores Dillema or Entering The Zone if you want more info.

If you are keeping a constant insulin level (which is what the zone boils down to) you need lots less calories than you think. 3000 calories a day is a myth based on our crappy corn based insulin rolercoaster diets. Read The Omnivores Dillema or Entering The Zone if you want more info.

i dont know anything about zone anything, but i do know if i eat a little bit several times a day i consume fewer calories than if i let myself get really hungry. i am shooting for 1500 a day right now. it's really hard to cut the callorie intake in half...

USDA (or whatever it is) is 2000 calories a say not 3000.

Hey, I know, lately my posts have been pretty grim.

If you knew me however, you'd see that for the most part I'm insanely healthy..

As for a super-fantastic zone meal, I really like coho salmon with asparagus and black beans.

Some would say 3500 calories a day isn't insanely healthy... or healthy at all for that matter...

How do you define health? How do you define fitness? Just curious...

What is fitness, the long answer:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf

I was directing the question to i like sun... I can assure you I have the manifesto close to memorized :blush::laf:

I should add for muffy and i like sun anybody can consume 2000, 3000, or more calories fairly easily... what is much much more important of what constitutes that 3000 calories... I could hit 3000 very easily with a 1/2 a dozen doughnuts or a few beers or any other number of ways which we all know is bad news as it is poor fuel... what I am getting at is it is not a "eat more or a certain # of calories" but instead "eat the correct amount of what is right" :)

And don't forget... Food is crack!

What is fitness, the long answer:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf

I was directing the question to i like sun... I can assure you I have the manifesto close to memorized :blush::laf:

I should add for muffy and i like sun anybody can consume 2000, 3000, or more calories fairly easily... what is much much more important of what constitutes that 3000 calories... I could hit 3000 very easily with a 1/2 a dozen doughnuts or a few beers or any other number of ways which we all know is bad news as it is poor fuel... what I am getting at is it is not a "eat more or a certain # of calories" but instead "eat the correct amount of what is right" :)

And don't forget... Food is crack!

you are preachin to the chior here. I have gotten off my healthy eating plan (NOT A DIET RUMER) and have kinda lost track of what i know my body needs. If i eat things my body needs i am not starved all the time. but it takes time to ween myself of high sugar high fat foods. food is worse than quiting any other drug. if i could just walk away from food and never have to deal with it again, quit all my friends who use food and not be arround it, it wouldn't be so hard. but i actuatly have to eat. daily. I have quit alot of things. all kinds of drugs, caffein, taboaco... but food has me by the short hairs.

I use macadamian nuts to help control the cravings when getting off the sugar addicition. Milk tends to satiate cravings as well.

Train your body to run off good fats and the right type of high fat foods are ok, and actually are essential.

I use macadamian nuts to help control the cravings when getting off the sugar addicition. Milk tends to satiate cravings as well.

Train your body to run off good fats and the right type of high fat foods are ok, and actually are essential.

oohhhh macadamias :grin: thanks for the tip i will give it a shot!!!! i can have a little dairy but too much is no good for me.

I'd like to find a way to improve my diet since judging by my scale weight I could stand to drop some weight. I don't know anything other than I've heard the name, "Zone," before.

One the other hand I kind of question this whole diet thing. One of my climbing partners is not fat at all, and he looks to be in good shape. At the same time he can eat huge meals that I can't even keep up with yet I'm the one who could stand to drop some weight.

I have a hard time thinking I need to eat meat for breakfast. I try and stick to cerial in the morning.

I don't know what the zone diet is....but use quinoa for the base of your meals its a super food ...

Love quinoa!

Yeah! its so high protein and low cal. works for all the meal hot or cold. Doing all these fasts/cleanses has really caused me to reevaluate my eating habits. I no longer crave sugar, meat (except fish), NO milk products. Don't drink as much beer as I used to (sake instead :P). Lots of fresh made juice and veggies. Its a good way to reset the body.

Don't confuse the word diet with a means to loose weight. I've been on the zone for 3 years and my body weight hasn't changed a pound though my body fat percentage has. Diet is basically just guidelines for eating. Food is one of the most effective drugs you put in to your body and you should treat it like a drug (at least thats what the zone says). The aspects of the zone which I use it for are increased energy and improved recovery. Though as a byproduct of only feeding the lean body mass on your body you tend to loose fat as well.

some zone basics (my interpretation):

Cereal = sugar

Rice = sugar

wheat = sugar

don't eat sugar

whole foods, where the fiber is intact with the protein and carb are the way to go.

Its not new but its contrary to current ineffective diet of low fat and high carb which pervades most nutritional advice you get or have gotten in the last 20 years.

One element promoted by Barry Sears which is new and unique is partnering high doses of pharmacutical grade fish oil with the diet.

I tend to be pretty low carb too. However, I went in to see Dr. Emily Cooper at Seattle Performance Medicine, and I did a series of metabolic tests. She checked my resting and exercising BMR along with my % gas exchange (to see what energy source my muscles are using). The tests showed that I was at a 20% protein metabolism... this number should be more like 8-12%. So I am eating more carbs these days. (plus, sufficient insulin is important for I-GF1, a major controller of lean tissue growth)

I'm sorta eating like this:

Breakfast (8am): 1/2 c oats with 1c blueberries, 3Tbs. flaxseed and 20g whey protein stirred in. Multi-vitamin.

[600 ish Kcal]

"Lunch" (I eat all this between the hours of 11:00-2:30 ): 1c nonfat [plain] Nancy's Yogurt, w/ 2tbs whey protein stirred in

1/2 c raw almonds

2 Slices Ezekiel Toast (with nothing on them)

1 Apple

[920 ish Kcal]

Exercise (usually): Short cardio warm up, full body resistance rutine (focus on core; also supposed to keep the HR low for the next month or so), ended with a short swim or light cardio cooldown (on top of that I probably walk 1 - 2 miles per day)

Post Exercise "smoothy": 20g protein whey protein, 1 small banana, 1 -2 tb peanut butter, 2tbs wheat bran, 5g creatine monohydrate

[300 ish Kcal]

Typical Dinner: 5oz turkey breast, 1/2 c black beans, sliced tomato, jalapeneos, red leaf lettuce, TONS of homemade Salsa (Jalepenio, tomato, cilantro, lime, pepper), all wrapped up in a Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortilla with 1 Tbs. Olive oil rubbed into it.

[600 ish].

Before bed: 1c hot 1% milk, or a piece of fruit (ie. apple). ZMA (zinc-mag combo)

[around 100 - 150 Kcal]

Totals: Between 2300 and 3000 Calories, depending on my activity for the day. Sometimes it can get PACKED away... My metabolism is insanely fast. If I don't eat [more] than 2000 a day, man, I lose weight FAST!

Woooh, I can't believe I just posted this..... I'm like one of those teenage girls who wants to tell you EVERYTHING they ate today! Just got on roll I guess...