today, i am struck by

minx

the extremes of our sport. i know that they're everyday and that today is no different than any other.

while reading the climbers board, i read with a smile the story about eric's climbs in France. excellent reading and news

then i read the about the tragedy in the Ruth Gorge. it makes me so sad. i don't know who the lost soul is but it's a tragedy for their loved ones.

amazing the happiness and sorrow that can be involved.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

true enough-- it just got to me a little more today. one thread, i'm reading about someone's success (YAY) i love that. it makes my day so much nicer to see that.

in the very next thread, i'm reading about the loss of someone who must've shared, on some level, the same joy the mountains bring me. although, i'm sure the person was a far better climber than me, i'm reminded that another lover of the mountains has been lost. there's a certain sadness in that whether i know him or not.

Those "extremes," as you call them, are certainly part of the vitality of mountain climbing and most of us wouldn't have it any other way but of course one can stack the odds in their favor by sticking to the "standard" routes in relatively benign ranges and climbing only in good, stable weather as compared to pursuing adventure in the Alaska Range or the more technical routes on the high peaks around Chamonix.

yep-not suggesting that it should be any other way. just had that reminder inserted into the banality of my work life. the contrast struck me.

i stack the deck in my favor but i certainly enjoy hearing the tales of endeavors for more challengin and interesting than my own.