TR - A Silvretta Tour

Since various ski partners had "work to do" (which apparently entails sleeping till noon), I set out on a solo tour of the Silvretta. Mellower than some of the other ranges in the alps, but they still with good skiing, nice huts, glaciers and the like, as well as easy access via public transportation the Silvretta are a fun place to tour.

Day 1 - skiied the lifts at Ischgl, then a short skin and down to Heidlberger Hutte. In the afternoon I climbed a real mountain - cross and all

147050131-M.jpg

ok, fine, it's the hut boulder.

Day 2 - skin from Heidlburger Hutte up to the Kronenjoch, then a walk up a hillock - picture looking towards Heidlburger and Ischgl from the hillock

147050164-M.jpg

and looking from the Kronenjoch down the Jamtal

147050197-M.jpg

skiied down to Jamtal, drank beer, and was frightened by old people in their underwear.

Day 3 - woke up at stupid early because everybody decided they had to wake up at 5:30 to leave the hut by 7 after a 1 hr breakfast :nonono2:

Clouds rolled in early,

147050215-M.jpg

So I passed on the Dreilanderspitze. Unfortunately the cloud cover meant this chute didnt warm up either:

147050250-M.jpg

so I went down to Chammana Tuoi

147050294-M.jpg

and drank beer. While contemplating the worlds largest tube of Sun Cream and the mysteries of Romansch

Day 4 - a rather flat glacial slog past nice peaks, and people free (rare).

147050363-M.jpg

Ended up at SilvrettaHutte,

147050414-M.jpg

where I saw a steinbok

147050447-M.jpg

(who mostly disappeared behind the ridge when I showed up with the zoom lens.

147050442-M.jpg

I avoided getting attacked by the demon marmot at dinner

Day 5 - planned to skin over the Rote Fuocla, then down, short skin up, then down to Saarbrucker Hutte. Picture back down the Fuocla:

147050511-M.jpg

Unfortunately, I think the winter room was closed:

147050583-M.jpg

so it was down the valley and ugliness getting to Bielerhohe,

147050656-M.jpg

then down the plowed, but not open, Silvretta alpine highway to Galtur.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! The Silvretta is on the border between western Austria & eastern Switzerland. Heildberger is in Switzerland, Jamtal in Austria, Chamanna Tuoi & Silvretta Haus in Switzerland. I ended up crossing the border between the 2 a half dozen times. They are fairly low elevation - most of the huts are in the ~2100m range, the big peaks like Piz Buin (the mountain behind Chamanna Tuoi) 3300m. Most of the huts open midFebruary so it makes a nice winter touring destination - lots of nice powder to be skiied (this is from March)

137100736-M.jpg

The Haute Route is western Switzerland, eastern France. It's higher elevation and nastier glaciers (of concern when you are moving solo)