Hypothermia- atypical symptoms

Yesterday, I suffered from what I believe to be hypothermia.

Symptoms:

Cold extremities and loss of sensation

Extremely high rate of respiration, even after resting

Sensation of "vibration" in both arms

Weakness, malais, nausea

At first I thought it was low blood sugar, aka bonking, but I hadn't been going for all that long. I downed some food but it didn't help.

I started the climb with Mistral pants and tights under, with tee shirt, light long sleeve and heavy long sleeve shirts under a midweight Shoeller jacket and light hat.

I started to recover only after I added a down jacket and balaclava. I climbed in a puffy coat for the rest of the day. I'd never climbed in such cold environs before.

below are the classic symptoms. I did not have low breathing rate, but the opposite. I wasn't shivering either. What's going on?

Uncontrollable shivering (although, at extremely low body temperatures, shivering may stop)

Weakness and loss of coordination

Confusion

Pale and cold skin

Drowsiness – especially in more severe stages

Slowed breathing or heart rate

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

weird, sounds like a bonk to me, how long after eating did you put on the puffy jacket? Are you sure it's the jacket which caused recovery, and not just elapsed time after eating?

I wonder if cold air on your face triggered the dive reflex, slowing your metabolism, heart-rate, blood flow to the limbs, etc. until you put the balaclava on....

The dive reflex theory is interesting, but I thought that was a response to sudden cold on the head and neck?

I ate as soon as I felt symptoms and put the jacket on one pitch or about 45 min later. The balaclava was added at the belay after that. That was where I really started to feel a lot better.

I'm no doctor, but I've heard of the dive reflex being triggered by snow and cold air before; I remember hearing about a little girl in Alaska or Montana or something who was revived after several hours of exposure. Doctors attributed it to the dive reflex. That's what made me think of it.

Yeah dude, you crashed or suffered high altitude sickness at a low altitude and got cold d/t lack of energy to burn. When you put your jacket on, I suspect you ate something.
I crashed all right, but it wasn't high altitude sickness. I know what that feels like. AS feels like your head is trying to cave in. This feels like electricity is been jolting through your arms.

Again, putting on the balaclava really helped a lot.