I am going to buy a new Mtn bike today. right now.

archenemy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my advice - don't buy one right now. if you arent't sure yet what you want, take your time, ride several different bikes, talk to many different people and do your homework. the most important thing is how it feels when you ride it - you'll get on one and it will just feel right, you won't want to get off, and that's the one you should get. don't rush it - too big and too personal a purchase for an impulse buy.

Yes, dont go to Gregg's! I used to work there, and I used to rip people off.....

Buy one offline then build it yourself, you'll get alot more for your $$$$. Transition Bikes is a insanely bomb-prof frame...... If you are looking for a super nimble rear suspension bike for trail riding, I think Ironhorse makes one of the best riding geometries.

I'm cheap though. I have a peice of shit Kona that I just dump copious amounts of wasted money into...

Or you could simplify life and start riding BMX bikes. I've been shredding those for years, and they cost seriously 1/10 the cost of a mountain bike. Catching tons of air will kill however...

Yeah - don't impulse buy. Spend some time.

What type of riding are you going to do?

Well, I need a lightweight (meaning beginnerish, not lightweight poundage) that I can enjoy around town, off road (nothing too heavy duty--I still have some mileage left in my older mtn bike) and that I can put slicks on for my triathlon that is coming up next month. That would be the triathlon that I haven't trained for. I'll need a big seat on the bike for my enormous ass. I forgot to mention that part.

Yes, dont go to Gregg's! I used to work there, and I used to rip people off.....

Buy one offline then build it yourself, you'll get alot more for your $$$$. Transition Bikes is a insanely bomb-prof frame...... If you are looking for a super nimble rear suspension bike for trail riding, I think Ironhorse makes one of the best riding geometries.

I'm cheap though. I have a peice of shit Kona that I just dump copious amounts of wasted money into...

Or you could simplify life and start riding BMX bikes. I've been shredding those for years, and they cost seriously 1/10 the cost of a mountain bike. Catching tons of air will kill however...

I fucking LOVE bmx bikes!! I rip on those things!!!

but i need something more practical right now.

In that case mr. archenemy buy a kona! They are actually not that bad and not too expensive (for the lower end ones). Also, for what you described, a hard tail would probably be the way to go. They are more efficient for pedaling around town and are also better for hill climbing when off-road.

I am a bike freak....

In that case mr. archenemy buy a kona! They are actually not that bad and not too expensive (for the lower end ones). Also, for what you described, a hard tail would probably be the way to go. They are more efficient for pedaling around town and are also better for hill climbing when off-road.

I am a bike freak....

i want a road bike... i dont even know where to start.... help :grin:

Oh Muffy, I'd love to help you out! I have a super old road bike thats like 15 years old.... its still works... I love building up super-fcuked looking bikes with miscellaneous parts. They always seem to work the best and look the coolest (to me).

As far a nice sparkly and new road bikes, Specialized and Trek are the two companies on the cutting edge of geometry and materials. But honestly, hardly anyone [needs] a $2000 bike!

I'd go online and just learn stuff, then go to different shops and test ride different models. The more research you do the happier you'll be in the end!

I think road biking is amazing......it builds the quads in a more balanced way than almost any other sport. Just look at Lance's Vastus Medialis, its huge!