[TR] Colchuck Peak- Colchuck Glacier 5/26/2005

off_the_hook

Climb: Colchuck Peak-Colchuck Glacier

Date of Climb: 5/26/2005

Trip Report:

A nice solo climb - my first outing of the season since coming home for the summer. Left Sammamish at 5:15 and got to Stuart Trailhead at 7:40, got going at 8. Cruised up the trail to Colchuck Lake and continued up to the glacier. Getting here early was essential to limit the amount of postholing. The snow on the glacier was powdery (over a foot deep or more) with a crust that broke through most of the time - postholing gets bad after the sun hits the glacier at about 11 am. I arrived at the summit at 11:40 and took a half hour to enjoy the views. Glissading wasn't possible until the lower snowfields, but I still made good time arriving at the trailhead at 2:45. The snow from last weekend continues to hang onto the rock ledges of Dragontail, Colchuck, and Stuart (almost Himalayan looking) making for very pretty photography scenes.

Gear Notes:

ice axe

skis would have been nice for the glacier descent...

Approach Notes:

trail in good shape, colchuck lake and lakeshore surroudnings completely melted out.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic