10768DSCF0015-med.JPG

Goat Lake and Mt. Rainier

10768DSCF0036-med.JPG

Mt. Adams from Snowgrass Flats

10768DSCF0042-med.JPG

Big Horn from Cispus Basin

10768DSCF0045-med.JPG

Approach Notes:

Mostly melted out with just patchy snow throughout the Goat Rocks above 6,000 ft. You can get just about anywhere you need to go without crampons or ice axe.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scramble up Old Snowy is very easy (the PCT goes to within 500 ft and there is an easy to follow trail from there; my dog made it to the top).

Plenty of water all the way up because there are still quite a few snow patches melting out.

You'll definitely encounter other people in Snowgrass Flats but it wasn't too crowded. I'm guessing the alpine camp you are referring to is the one with rock wind shelters built, up above Snowgrass Flats. It was empty when I passed it on the way up. I think most people, inlcuding our group, assumed it would still be snowed in when in fact, its completely melted out.

We also crossed Cispus Pass on the trip and it didn't appear many parties had been through before us this year (the only prints in the snow/dirt were from goats). Again, there's still some snow but no trouble getting through in just boots.