Forbidden Tour 5/10-13/01

AlpineK

My friend C and I skied around Mt. Forbidden. The tour is fantastic!!

5/10 We left my truck at mile 21 on the Cascade River road. From their we hiked up to the Diamond mine. We toured up following the route of the summer trail for a while and then straight up into the eastern side of Boston Basin. In the future I would stay in the clear slopes above the Diamond mine and not try to follow the summer trail. We spent the first night below Sharkfin col.

5/11 We hiked up to the col and rappelled 25' onto the Boston glacier. From their we skied across the glacier to the north ridge of Mt. Forbidden. From their the ski down to Moraine lake was great on perfect corn snow. We stuck to the Forbidden glacier and had to down climb a 20' section of rock where the snow had melted out. We spent our second night at the outflow of the lake.

5/12 From Moraine lake we decided to cross the lake and head up into the Inspiration cirque. The snow was getting thin at the bottom of the cirque, but I managed to stay on skis through the lower section. The objective danger here is quite large. Only go into the cirque if you get an early start and the weather is solid. There is a slope to the NW of Moraine lake that would be a safer bypass; however the cirque is impressive.

At about 6,000' we reached a plateau on the Inspiration glacier. We then skied up a couloir to Klawatti col and set up camp. In the afternoon we skied over to Austera Peak.

5/13 The weather had been good for the rest of the tour, however it crapped out on us on Sunday. After some early morning snow and a lot of clouds we headed south over the Inspiration glacier. Even in low visibility staying at a constant elevation gets you across the glacier without much problem. We didn't summit El Dorado because of the weather though it is very easy from the tour.

We skied down the Inspiration glacier and then down the El Dorado glacier. Warm temperatures made the snow extra sloppy. We stayed on our skis until we reached about 4300'. From hear we hiked down a boulder field (ski boots suck downclimbing wet boulders) and found the trail back down to the Cascade river.

If you like ski touring I would put this on your list! If you are going to do it this year do it soon as the snow is going away on the lower sections.

Kurt Fickeisen

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic