Little T

2morehours

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done it both ways- a couple of times each. From Paradise, we climbed it once in winter with no problems at all, but the time we did it in early June the Cowlitz crossing was heavily crevassed and we both punched through several times. The Ingraham was smooth both times-no problems. I would not push this crossing in poor weather conditions as dropping even slightly low on the Cowlitz will place you into the largest icefall on Rainier, and missing the crossing of the large rock pillar that divides the two glaciers would be bad.

A strong party, starting early, can do this trip in one day. If you need more info, feel free to p.m.

Think a Paradise approach would be logical. Road access from White River (the typical approach via Summerland and Fryingpan Glacier) prolly won't be available for a while yet.

Is there a website that monitors the plowing in the park? I've been waiting to here that White River is open.

Cayuse Pass will be open by mid May definitely. Definitely take the bike then after they open the pass.....I suspect the White River road will be snowfree but the campground may have snow...that road will be snow free becuase I am seeing that higher up there is more snowpack than normal but lower down there is less than normal snowpack....

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/cayuse/