Mt. Hayes

stillclimbing

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

mt. hayes is an AWESOME mountain... mike wood and colby coombs from talkeetna have co authored a new climbing guide to alaska for the mountaineers press. if i recall correctly, it includes routes on hayes, moffit, deborah and a few others in the region. i'm surprised it hasn't been released yet (or maybe i haven't seen it.) anyway, i've done some research on the mountain before and found the most helpful information in the american alpine club journals. the mountaineers library in seattle should be a good place to start. you can also call talkeetna air taxi 9057-733-2218, ask for paul roderick, he may also be able to help you with access questions.

good luck

ps, i found this on amazon, it seems the new book will come out this may... it should be REALLY good

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089886724X/qid=1012764993/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_3_2/102-5809755-6630563

Well drat. they've gone and done it. a climbing guide for AK. I thought there was an unwritten code that prevented such a thing - or at least for everything except Denali and Alaska Geographic.

I love looking at maps and 'discovering' a climb, then the excitement of finding a photo of the mountain, then, best of all, going to Mtneers Library and finding route descriptions in AAJ.

A guidebook just makes it too damn easy, man, and cheapens the effort. There's too many guidebooks and not enough imagination.

Well, it wont ruin my day or anything. And yeah, I'll buy a copy - hell I've got all the guidebooks for the Cascades and Olympics. Why not AK too?