Buying Gear Online?

Use our price tool to find the best price on any piece or gear or clothing. Purchases using this tool support cc.com.

Supporting Sponsors

Pro Mountain Sports
Thermawrap Jacket 8.8oz

blank
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
27500 Members
50 Forums
101051 Topics
1148575 Posts

Max Online: 627 @ 12/18/06 12:02 AM
Top TR Contributors
ivan 118
KaskadskyjKozak 112
JasonG 107
tvashtarkatena 99
off_the_hook 90
danhelmstadter 88
wayne 78
AlpineK 73
telemarker 71
G-spotter 57
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1156901 - 10/10/17 02:24 PM Hayden Kennedy Dead
JasonG Offline
spray'prentice

TRs: 107 Photos: 1811
Loc: Mount Vernon

Help Support CascadeClimbers

Want to browse more deals? Check out our price comparison and deal finder tool!

#1156906 - 10/10/17 10:25 PM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

TRs: 118 Photos: 1803
Loc: Oceania
for every one of us living in this world
means waiting for our end
let he who can achieve glory before death
when a warrior is gone
that will be his best and only bulwark

#1156914 - 10/11/17 08:41 PM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
Whatcomboy Offline
enthusiast

TRs: 14 Photos: 79
Loc: hwy 542
He had quite the climbing resume for such a young guy. I enjoyed the interviews he did on the Enormocast talking about Cerro Torre. Very sad to hear this.

#1156917 - 10/12/17 09:59 AM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
Bronco Offline
Deskjockey

TRs: 15 Photos: 131
Loc: Port Gardner, WA
I liked Hayden after reading this article on him. https://www.outsideonline.com/1896531/chopped

Really sad to think about the torment he experienced that would drive him to take his own life.

#1156919 - 10/14/17 03:49 PM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
num1mc Offline
old hand

TRs: 0 Photos: 45
An account of the events. The slide happened on the Saturday the 7th, and he looked for three hours, then hiked home. S&R was notified at 10pm on Sunday, under conditions which remain unclear but were probably from the suicide note, text or call.

http://www.mtavalanche.com/accident/17/10/12

The time line is chilling

Edited by num1mc (10/14/17 04:11 PM)

#1156920 - 10/15/17 09:15 AM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: num1mc]
JasonG Offline
spray'prentice

TRs: 107 Photos: 1811
Loc: Mount Vernon
This accident, and the aftermath, has been haunting me all week. I can't shake it.

#1156924 - 10/15/17 09:24 PM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

i can rest easy knowing not one of my partners would feel so awful about getting me greased smile

#1156926 - 10/15/17 11:08 PM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
Rad Offline
Pooh-Bah

TRs: 28 Photos: 760
Loc: The Emerald City
Originally Posted By: JasonG
This accident, and the aftermath, has been haunting me all week. I can't shake it.

Yes, when bad things happen to really great people it shakes the foundation. What is it all for anyway? What constitutes a meaningful life? As a parent, I can't imagine much worse than having your only son take his life. Their hearts will forever be broken.

#1156929 - 10/16/17 05:08 PM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: Rad]
matt_warfield Offline
Pooh-Bah

TRs: 8 Photos: 2
Loc: seattle
The old timers or history buffs may recall that Hayden's father Michael nearly died in a rock climbing accident at Granite Mountain in Arizona a few decades ago.

#1156932 - 10/17/17 05:57 AM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
genepires Offline
spray'prentice

TRs: 8 Photos: 59
Loc: sharing-hood
I have never met Hayden Kennedy but a thought keeps running through my head. I would imagine that someone who excels at hard climbing, especially as such a young age, may be someone who is obsessive about the activity and maybe obsessive in general. Nothing shocking there of course but I could see how someone who is prone to being obsessive getting in a loving relationship that regular folk may never feel. Can't imagine the grief he went through searching for hours to no avail.

let us all remember this when one of our friends goes through something tragic. hold them close. stay with them. be present even if it means staying with them instead of work. choose life and friendship. Their life and your emotional well being could hang in your choice.

(from what I understand, friends could not have helped with Hayden's situation)

#1156933 - 10/17/17 08:27 AM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
keenwesh Offline
veteran

TRs: 21 Photos: 182
Loc: Bozeman
Hayden was thoughtful and analytical. I knew him as part of the crew who we'd get a beer with, or boulder at the gym and talk about whatever. I remember a day where he wanted to see how many harder problems he could climb consecutively, while never climbing up or down a problem more than once. After 3 routes he popped off a hold, rolled off the ground, and with a big goofy grin said "now that's how you get a pump!".

At the bar or dinner, even though we weren't very close, he always took the time to have a one on one conversation with me, asking how I was doing, my plans, basic stuff. I work for another christmas lighting company, and we would swap stories about my boss (Hayden had received a few calls to his company over the years from our clients that had been completely ghosted by our company, 'Get me out of Christmas light hell!" had been the opener for one such call).

Hayden was so wonderful and special, not because of his talents as a climber, but for the way he moved though and interacted with those around him. He didn't talk himself up, only wanting to hear about what you were doing, and thrived on the success of those around him.

All I got out him before he left for the Kashmir was that he was going to India, afterwards he was similarly stoic. The alpinist piece, published the following summer, was shocking, not only for what they climbed, but for the way it was written. I have felt the same way on big climbs that I have done, but have never been able to express those emotions to another person. He wasn't obsessive, but he was a wonderful person who I and many others will miss dearly.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web17f/wfeature-light-before-wisdom

#1156934 - 10/17/17 09:26 AM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: keenwesh]
Rad Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: keenwesh
Hayden was thoughtful and analytical. I knew him as part of the crew who we'd get a beer with, or boulder at the gym and talk about whatever. I remember a day where he wanted to see how many harder problems he could climb consecutively, while never climbing up or down a problem more than once. After 3 routes he popped off a hold, rolled off the ground, and with a big goofy grin said "now that's how you get a pump!".

At the bar or dinner, even though we weren't very close, he always took the time to have a one on one conversation with me, asking how I was doing, my plans, basic stuff. I work for another christmas lighting company, and we would swap stories about my boss (Hayden had received a few calls to his company over the years from our clients that had been completely ghosted by our company, 'Get me out of Christmas light hell!" had been the opener for one such call).

Hayden was so wonderful and special, not because of his talents as a climber, but for the way he moved though and interacted with those around him. He didn't talk himself up, only wanting to hear about what you were doing, and thrived on the success of those around him.

All I got out him before he left for the Kashmir was that he was going to India, afterwards he was similarly stoic. The alpinist piece, published the following summer, was shocking, not only for what they climbed, but for the way it was written. I have felt the same way on big climbs that I have done, but have never been able to express those emotions to another person. He wasn't obsessive, but he was a wonderful person who I and many others will miss dearly.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web17f/wfeature-light-before-wisdom

Thank you. Very poignant. This echoes words from many others and shows us that the key to a life well lived is radical kindness. The good news is that we don't have to climb 5.14 to be kind to our friends, family, and strangers.

#1156935 - 10/17/17 07:12 PM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

wise sir, do not grieve
it is always better to avenge dear ones
than indulge in mourning

#1156937 - 10/18/17 08:46 AM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: ivan]
Rad Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ivan
wise sir, do not grieve
than indulge in mourning

Avenge suicide? Your empathy muscle has atrophied.

#1156938 - 10/18/17 09:16 AM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: Rad]
KaskadskyjKozak Offline
Sick Spray Bird

TRs: 112 Photos: 1037
Loc: Above Treeline
Originally Posted By: Rad
Originally Posted By: ivan
wise sir, do not grieve
than indulge in mourning

Avenge suicide? Your empathy muscle has atrophied.

That's the quote Ivan always posts when someone dies. But yeah, not very a propos this time around frown

#1156939 - 10/18/17 09:22 AM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
Rad Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm sure he's a very well read dude. How about quoting another great author?

"He was a man, take him for all and all, I shall not look upon his like again"
Hamlet

#1156941 - 10/18/17 12:57 PM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

i would say we avenge dear ones who died climbing by climbing ourselves - ya know, not letting the bastard world have it's way on us, scaring us into becoming chicken-shits?

fwiw, that excerpt comes from the scene in beowulf where grendel's mother has just killed hrothgar's best friend to avenge her own son's murder at beowulf's hands - beowulf's trying to cheer up a distraught king by encouraging him to focus on something he can actually do

empathy? i think i read about that somewhere once - a human thing, no? smile

#1156945 - 10/18/17 10:41 PM Re: Hayden Kennedy Dead [Re: JasonG]
Buckaroo Offline
veteran

TRs: 11 Photos: 349
Loc: forced bivy

this message doesn't say anything but it's too late to stop reading it

Moderator:  JayB, Off_White, snoboy, testmod 
© 2000-10 cascadeclimbers.com · Cookies · Board Rules · Mark all read ·