Twin Sisters - camping and approach questions

jstluise

We're planning to make up a trip up the west ridge of the North Twin and, if we are feeling up for it, the west ridge of the South Twin as well (descending the same routes). It is a few hour drive for us so we'll be staying overnight no matter what. The plan would be to summit the North Twin on day 1 and South Twin on day 2. We'll be bringing bikes along. Some questions I have:

-Is there easy access between the North Twin and South Twin trailheads without having to retreat all the way back to Dailey Prarie? It looks like the two adjacent forest roads aren't too far apart with a bit of bushwacking?

-Would you recommend setting up camp and stashing the bikes at the North Twin or South Twin trailhead? I suppose it doesn't matter much. For example we could camp and leave the bikes at the North Twin TH and then we would just have to backtrack after climbing the South Twin to get the bikes. Unless we can walk the bikes between trailheads?

Any suggestions for executing this trip would be appreciated!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been up that side of the South Twin, but my understanding is that there isn't much of a trail (like on NT). So your plan of 'schwacking is what I've heard others do to link them.

But all these climbing routes are getting more and more beat in as the years go on so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was some sort of path to ST from the logging roads of Daily Prairie.

If I was going overnight...I'd go to the Green Creek valley! But if you want to do both west ridges I'd probably ditch my bikes in the woods by Dailey Prairie and climb the North Twin. Return at the end of the day and camp where the road pretty much ends on the south twin approach (big flat area). Climb South Twin next day and bike out.

Not an entirely aesthetic place to spend a whole weekend but at least you won't have to go all the way up the roads again.

Thanks for the input. For some reason there was a delay in my email notification and I didn't know I had responses until now.

The Green Creek Circuit sounds awesome, but perhaps it would be better earlier in the year when there is more snow? Also, the class 3/4 west ridges seems better suited for us since we are planning to leave protection at home. Haven't spent a lot of time on any class 5 rock anyways, so maybe we'll save the Green Creek side for the future.

I've read about people getting their bikes up to the North Twin TH, so I think we'll plan on at least that. If after climbing the North Twin and we can't find a route over to the South Twin "trail", we can cruise down to Dailey Prairie to camp. Otherwise, hopefully, we'll camp somewhere in the basin between the North and South Twin. I dunno, we'll see what happens! Looking forward to climbing the twins!