Climbing bivy for Eclipse?

GerritD

I want to camp out for the Eclipse that is best seen in Oregon on Aug. 21 this year and I'm looking for a bivy site off the beaten path. I have never climbed in Oregon so I don't have the beta. Does anyone know of a good spot?

Ideally I would be in the alpine well above the tree line, with as close to a 360 degree view as possible. I also want it to be hard enough to access that there won't be a mob of people, so this is why I'm asking here. Does anyone know of a climbers camp that's a bit rough so as to keep away the crowds? Perhaps even just a ridge-line or summit where I can pitch a tent would work.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

This link shows the path of the eclipse

Edited by GerritD

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

jefferson park at the base of mt jefferson would probably be awesome, though there's a fire burning there at the moment i think

mt washington area would be good too, and 7-fingered jack

the best would be the top of monkey face :)

listen, no where is going to be free of people. Maybe some spots in the woods that don't have particularly good views. The FS is estimating something like 1000 people will try to climb up on Jefferson which if you've climbed, basically means someone will probably die. The summit can support 3 people ok, 5 would be fucking tight, and it's a fall line down all sides of it. I actually wanted to climb Jeff for this eclipse a year ago when I was thinking about it, but there's no way in hell I am going to go near the mountain if there's even a few hundred trying to climb it, I can't risk the rock fall hazard let alone shit show once someone slides on a snow traverse and helo is buzzing to rescue/recover them. Basically being a 'bit rough' to get to will not be stopping the crowds. Just think there are probably a few thousand climbers/scramblers/mountaineers/etc in Oregon who have the same plan as you. It will help vs being somewhere that you can drive and park and see the eclipse (like santiam pass).. but everywhere will have some degree of folks

Jefferson Park is currently closed as is a big area around it due to a fire, and it won't be opened in time for the eclipse.

good luck