Buying Gear Online?

Use our price tool to find the best price on any piece or gear or clothing. Purchases using this tool support cc.com.

Supporting Sponsors
Pro Mountain Sports
Thermawrap Jacket 8.8oz

blank
Who's Online
4 registered (JasonG, Sol, Gunnar, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
27500 Members
50 Forums
101051 Topics
1148576 Posts

Max Online: 627 @ 12/18/06 12:02 AM
Top TR Contributors
ivan 118
KaskadskyjKozak 112
JasonG 107
tvashtarkatena 99
off_the_hook 90
danhelmstadter 88
wayne 78
AlpineK 73
telemarker 71
G-spotter 57
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1154847 - 05/25/17 01:04 PM Bolivia (Condoriri, Illimani, Huayna Potosi) info
aarondray Offline
journeyman

TRs: 0 Photos: 10
Loc: Washington, DC
I am planning an unguided trip to Bolivia for spring/summer 2018. I would appreciate the opportunity to hear from anyone who has done a similar trip in the last few years. We are planning to try some peaks (mostly standard routes) in the Condoriri group and either Illimani or Huayna Potosi. If you would be willing to share logistical, weather, gear, and route information, please send me a message. Thanks.

Aaron

#1155884 - 07/24/17 11:22 PM Re: Bolivia (Condoriri, Illimani, Huayna Potosi) info [Re: aarondray]
mneagle Offline
enthusiast

TRs: 7 Photos: 111
Loc: Fort Collins, CO
I've been to Bolivia to climb 3 times, although the last trip was over a decade ago. Here's a link to a post where I linked my last couple of trips and put up some pictures. I climbed all the peaks you mentioned and they are spectacular.we used Yossi Brain's book and even back then it was dated, with regards to snow/glacier cover. We encountered rock buttresses and scree where the book indicated snow ramps. Get the newest book but expect inaccuracies. When I was there, the ski lift was still running at Chacaltaya but I'm told the glacier is now completely gone. Back then, the climbers stayed at the Hotel Torino. I wonder if it's still there. One of the best things about climbing in Bolivia was the complete lack of regulation. Permits? Yeah right. You would catch a bus to a town close to the mountain you wanted to climb and start asking around for a mule to rent to get your shit to a base camp and then tell the guy to come back in 3 days to pick you up. Don't forget your rock shoes, so you can clip bolts in La Zona Sur, in La Paz, on a rest day. Have a great trip and put up a TR, when you get back.

Bolivia link

Moderator:  AlpineK, fern, mattp, Off_White 
© 2000-10 cascadeclimbers.com · Cookies · Board Rules · Mark all read ·