Castle Rock New Route

telemarker

A new bolted route has gone up between Midway pitch one chimney and Winter Solstice pitch one. I'm not being judgmental here, as I have not climbed it yet. It may be a fantastic pitch of climbing. I don't know. But it does seem to be in an odd location, so close to Winter Solstice, you can use the first few bolts of this new route if you climb WS. I'm just a little ambivalent about this new addition, and it does look out of place with the rest of the upper Castle routes.

I'm curious who did this one.

Edited by telemarker
  • Snaffled 1

John-

Mike Steele and I installed this route. We had initially hoped it would go without bolts, and for the creative leader with the right rack, it could. We installed the bolts to encourage more traffic to try it. Have you climbed the finger/hand crack from the top of the bolts to the anchor? It eats gear, goes in the 5.9+ range - we haven't settled on a rating, since when we installed the bolts, only Mike, Ben Stanton, and I had climbed it, and we hoped for a broader consensus than just the three of us. As for odd, I've always thought it odd that no-one had removed that carpet of moss when there was a crack system clearly visible underneath it. Working name for the project is Equinox - halfway from Midway to Solstice.

I think I accidentally climbed this last weekend in an attempt to climb Winter solstice. I awkwardly traversed in left from the ledge on winter solstice proper, and climbed the first crack I got to. It had good (dirty) finger locks down low, then opened up to hands, then back down to rattly fingers. If this is your route it was fun, and with a little more traffic it would be a good 5.9ish alternative to both winter solstice and Midway.

of course not, just my personal opinion

I'm just partial to climbing on clean rock

I think it's weak sauce to expect "traffic to do the rest"

and while we're on the topic, does this make sense?:

"We installed the bolts to encourage more traffic to try it"

• 2 weeks later...

"We had initially hoped it would go without bolts, and for the creative leader with the right rack, it could. We installed the bolts to encourage more traffic to try it."

The last traditional crag in Leavenworth now features a bolted route which, in the opinion of the route's author, could be climbed without bolts. Apparently, creativity and the "right rack" are required. But because routes on Castle need more traffic.....

Jeesh. Don't forget to vote green.

• 2 weeks later...
Canary - an ultra-classic on this "last traditional crag", has always, as far as i know, been a bolted route. even though it too can be protected without the bolts (yes, I have), I heard no complaints when it was retrobolted a few years back... context!?

It's interesting how some of the routes on upper Castle get upgraded bolts and others don't. Like P2 of Canary, or the bolt on Old Grey Mare, or the bolt just over the roof on Satanic Verses. But on the south face of jello tower still has an ancient bolt.

I'm also curious about the two different bolts on the start of Rainbow Connection. The right one is only about 3 years old. The right bolt start is fun climbing if somewhat easier than the left start.

Maybe I'm unclear on Canary's history. Yes, pitch 2 protects with one or more bolts which were drilled on the ascent. Drilling on the lead makes it a climb, any other kind of drilling makes for something not in the tradition of most climbs established at Castle Rock. That some old gear gets replaced doesn't bother me. And I don't see the relevance of mentioning Canary can be climbed w/o bolts. I'm sure somebody has down-climbed it without a rope. The point is, the first party to climb it, back when it was a pretty futuristic, bold route, placed a couple of bolts while in ascent mode. How can we be satisfied with a lower standard of adventure today than what was expected 40 or 50 years ago?

And when is Dwayner gonna climb 5.13? a decade plus ago he said he could climb any 5.13 with enough time to practice. Is a decade plus enough time or do we have to wait until he's mummified?

I watched Dwayner down solo a thin, slippery 5.10 in flip flops so 5.13 would not surprise me.

And when is Dwayner gonna climb 5.13? a decade plus ago he said he could climb any 5.13 with enough time to practice. Is a decade plus enough time or do we have to wait until he's mummified?

And when are you finally going to say something interesting? Boring people like you helped this website fade into oblivion. Sport climbers like you helped me decide climbing has evolved into something equivalent to table tennis. Go ahead, bolt the shite out of Castle Rock and have a blast wrecking it some more. Don't forget to vote green.

And when are you finally going to say something interesting? Boring people like you helped this website fade into oblivion. Sport climbers like you helped me decide climbing has evolved into something equivalent to table tennis. Go ahead, bolt the shite out of Castle Rock and have a blast wrecking it some more. Don't forget to vote green.

KEEPIN' IT REAL BRO!

SW23.jpg

Fade into oblivion??? We are still here you whiney git. And we are still waiting for you to say something interesting, I'm pretty sure you once did, but now you're just a one trick pony.

FYI table tennis is pretty damn fun.