AT boot for big ass calf muscles and wide feet?

layton

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, I don't think there is going to be any shortcut via us armchair skiers (I think that is what Pete was getting at ;) ).

You're going to have to try them all on and see what works best. AT boots are so expensive that you really need to make sure the fit is the best possible of the options out there. That, and you may need a boot fitter to punch out the shells after you purchase to dial it in even further.

Starting off at a top notch ski shop will certainly help speed the process. Good luck and welcome back!!

This might be heresy, but one thing you might consider is looking at women's boots -- lots of women try/use men's ski boots but I don't think the crossover goes the other way much.

Because women's calves tend to be longer and extend further down the back of the leg than men's do, women's boots are generally slightly shorter than men's boots, thus the top of the boot could be low enough not to constrict your calf muscle.

I tried on many men's ski boots when I was trying to buy AT boots and they all squeezed hell out of my calves while being totally loose and sloppy in the ankle area, even at the tightest setting. I ended up with Scarpa Magics, which at the time was just about the only Dynafit compatible women's boot out there, but there are way more options now.

There are also ways to use heel lift pads to make ill-fitting boots work better, but with all the options available now it seems like you should be able to find boots that actually fit.

Scarpa Maestrale series boots may be worth a look for you. They seem to have a lower calf height. They are decent for width but it's a relatively simple process to get the boot shells punched out for width.

Or stop walking for a month or two before ski season to shrink your big ass calf muscles.

After losing 50 pounds I was left with the big calves that had carried my fat ass for so many years so I know the struggle. I wear Dalbello Sherpa boots because they are shorter and they work pretty well for me. +1 The recommendations for shorter boots and good boot fitting.

Edited by Buckshot

I have similar issues, Mike, and found the Atomic Backland to be a relatively good fit and lower cuff height. You might try them on if you can find them, I bought mine at the Seattle EVO shop last fall. The Scarpa F-1 that was recalled in 2015 also fit me pretty well (actually better than the Atomic) and I think they have a new version out this year with the recall issue fixed.

I second the Atomic Backlands. I have challenging feet to fit too and went with the Backlands since the entire shell can be baked in an oven and stretched to fit. The boot fitter that I've been working with says they're really easy to punch after the initial shell molding process too. I got the regular ones for splitboarding and they are soft enough to ride in without modification, it makes me wonder how people ski in them at all, you'll probably want to step up to the carbon version.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone else have the problem that their ski boots squeeze the hell out of their calf muscles?

Regardless, looking for recs on an dynafit compatible boot that's super f'ing comfortable. I ski like shit so comfort is all I care about.

Layton, check Fischer Transalp Vacuum. Shell can be molded to your feet. Wide up to 107mm.

Transalp