[TR] Mount Stuart - Cascadian Coulour 9/10/2016

montynet

Trip: Mount Stuart - Cascadian Coulour

Date: 9/10/2016

Trip Report:

Two of us decided to attempt the CC route on Stuart in a day. We met up in Seattle area at 4:00 AM. We were at the trailhead at 5:50 AM. We started our hike around 6:10 AM. The Ingalls Lake, Long Pass trail are in great condition. No down trees. After Long Pass, especially while getting down to Ingalls Creek it can be a bit treacherous as the scree is pretty loose. We were at Ingalls Creek around 8:00 AM. From the route descriptions I had read, Ingalls Creek would be our last reliable water source, however this is not true as there's still snow fields on Stuart. You don't need to get on the snow however to get to the peak if you're doing the CC route. The couloir itself is not fun, it's sandy and filled with scree so it can be quite treacherous. Once you get to the saddle it's matter of choice as to how to continue on scree, snow, or rock. There's a choice for everyone, I chose scree as it seemed the path of least resistance. Once I was on the ridge above the false summit, I stayed on the ridge as I was too lazy to drop down to the easier path below on the otherside of the ridge. There are cairns everywhere to help you along the way. I wore my helmet not necessarily because of rock fall but I was concern of falling on the sand or scree and injuring my head. I was at the summit of Stuart at 12:30 PM. I was completely alone in the summit but I counted at least 25 people that were attempting it. My return was along the same route but it did take me longer to get down than actually getting to the summit. The couloir was just not fun for me. I was back at Ingalls Creek at 4:30 PM. And finally made it back to the car at 6:47 PM. I'm glad I did Stuart but I will skip on doing this route again.

If you're interested in a GPX file you can request one through

the Adventure Explorers facebook page.

Pictures below (click for full size):

PgfeZXad.jpg z1p9PqA1.jpg m3Msbily.jpg gZBFJ3yj.jpg bv8kvm1T.jpg bfLn0Ab8.jpg YHhgj9dE.jpg mXlA5kSJ.jpg gIDDVFBt.jpg

Gear Notes:

Hiking equipment, helmet, microspikes (not used).

Approach Notes:

Trails in great condition, getting down from Long Pass is a little slippery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic