[TR] Sahale Mountain/Peak - South Slope 8/30/2016

montynet

Trip: Sahale Mountain/Peak - South Slope

Date: 8/30/2016

Trip Report:

So a few of us (6) decided to hike to Sahale Glacier Camp on Tuesday (8/30)...at least that was the initial plan hike to the camp take in the views and return. However, one of the hikers wanted to go all the way to Sahale Peak and he brought crampons, a rope, ice axe but we did not use the rope at all. I, however; only had trekking poles and microspikes, but still I decided to accompany him while the rest of the party stayed behind. We started at 7:54 AM from the trail head. It took us 3h21m to get to Sahale Glacier Camp and then about 1 hour to get to the peak including a class 3 with a few class 4 moves scramble on the south east face of the summit block. I did find it very strange that despite the map and gps saying that we were in Sahale Mountain, the US Geological Survey plaque reads "Boston" as you can see in the pic. The Sahale Glacier itself is still in great climbing condition, there are a few open crevasses on the upper part of the glacier. The final scree scramble before the summit block is not super fun as you easily slide. There are a few cairns to guide your way up. Our return trip was uneventful and we were back with the rest of the hikers by 4 PM. Afterwards we stopped by the Bison Run restaurant, we all thought our burgers were dry.

If you're interested, here's my gpx file (right click to save as):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57379305/Sahale%20Mt.gpx

Pics, click on them for full size:

tHCUzsN8.jpg YQclmKX3.jpg taqO7C3b.jpg iOodbirn.jpg I9P2M5Zz.jpg B7GhmZvw.jpg 4EDMfsop.jpg x6QN4WXg.jpg z59Lu1Wq.jpg

Gear Notes:

No special gear used, hiking essentials, microspikes.

Approach Notes:

Road is accessible to all vehicles. Hike to Sahale Glacier Camp is in great shape.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic