Snow conditions on Rainier

There is an impressive amount of snow expected to fall on Rainier at the end of this week and beginning of next week (63 inches). I'm wondering how realistic my plan is to climb Rainier at the end of next week - classical route. I'm traveling from the east coast for that. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where you're getting that data (mountain forecast?) just depends on the weather but 63 inches of snow won't be falling at paradise or muir. And if it falls at the summit it'll all be blown away. If you have a clear weather window that will be significantly more of a deciding factor than any amount of accumulation this weekend, imo.

I agree - no way this time of year you will get 5ft of snow on The Mountain. We have been having only light storm conditions lately - you could check with Rich Marriott at King 5 News - he's a mountain climber and good weatherman. Other wise just keep checking on the local weather and mountain conditions.

www.nwac.us is a good source also.

My advice is to come out and be prepared to camp at Muir (assuming you're planning to attempt the Disappointment Cleaver Route) waiting for a weather window. Looking at Erik's link to the MRNP climbing webpage, the guide services have established the boot pack on that route so you're good to go if you get a solid forecast.