2015/2016 Washington Ice Conditions

bellows

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Alex. I climbed for a few years in the Cascades and tried to mitigate avalanche risk by self-teaching, book learning, consulting NWAC, etc. Then, I started skiing more than climbing and decided to enroll in an AIARE level 1 course. It has been an eye opener, especially when it comes to decisions about micro-terrain features, group think, and how rapidly things can change out there. I realize now that in the past I just got lucky and "got away with one" or maybe even two or three... Be safe not sorry. A course may seem expensive and unnecessary, but it's not when you consider the consequences. It's not only your life that you need to think about but also that of your partners and other people that may be recreating nearby.

NWAC put avy danger high thur but moderate fri, but still dumping rain and snow, I thought danger shouldn't change downward that quick if still dumping. Figured also most ice washed away. Bailed on the trip. Learned via partner 20 min later after bail the road up the pass closed due to avy danger. Another time....