Leclerc

olyclimber

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Marc ever realized that the 22 Sept was the last day of winter not the 20 Sept.

For the pedantic: Autumnal equinox was on September 23 at 4:21 A.M. (ET).

"The window appeared to be best from the 20th of September onwards, with an unusually large high pressure system settling over the area for nearly a week. The 20th would be the last day of winter, and thus my hopes of making ‘winter ascents’ were unlikely to be realized."

I knew the equinox was the 23rd.

I have no doubt that if I tried to claim the 1st solo winter ascent of any of the Torres on the 22nd, plenty of people would be more than happy to rip into it and discredit it. Early spring it is.

The climb was so fun. Just classic aesthetic climbing, never particularly hard. Just really good times in a really great place.

I have no doubt that if I tried to claim the 1st solo winter ascent of any of the Torres on the 22nd, plenty of people would be more than happy to rip into it and discredit it. Early spring it is.

The climb was so fun. Just classic aesthetic climbing, never particularly hard. Just really good times in a really great place.

A date is a date is a date. Any ascent on September 22 in the Southern Hemisphere should be absolutely credited as a Winter Ascent, even if it's done on the 22nd. For the same exact reason ascents done on December 19 or 20th are not credited as Winter Ascents.

Sounds like you had fun which is what it is all about. As for the date, your assumption is valid. But then what you do when reporting the ascent is add sometime to the affect of:

While it is generally thought that winter/summer ends on the 21 September. Some years the equinox is earlier or later. In 2015 the equinox was on 23 September at at 4:21 A.M. (ET). As such the ascent on the 22 September was technically a winter ascent.

Then those that want to pooh-pooh things can swim against the above and look dumb.

• 2 weeks later...