Lightning Peak/Unnamed Lake

mrtheandrew

Hello. Yes, this is my first post. I joined up because I've been looking for good info on the backcountry of the Olympics, especially the Staircase area above Lake Cushman.

Has anyone been to the top of Lightning Peak, on the west side of the north end of Lake Cushman? I was looking for info on two things, a route up there, and if anyone has info or pictures of the small lake that forms the headwaters of Copper Creek? Its located at 47.49647, -123.34399

Copper Creek Trail #876 takes you a good chunk of the way up, and near the lake.

lightningpeak.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went up Lightning Peak above Lake Cushman on Friday, 8/7/15. I thought it would be a piece of cake, but was sorely mistaken. It's quite rugged, but was still loads of fun.

As per Peggy Goldman's new Washington Scrambles book, I took the alternate route, driving FS 2451 to the crossing of Elk Creek where I parked. Then went up to the ridge where I picked up the trail at a Geocache hidden in a hollowed out dead tree. Big mistake. That route is steep, brushy and only for masochists. Has ANYONE ever used this route, besides me?

Second mistake was following the main gully right to the notch between the western and eastern summits of Lightning Peak. It wasn't too bad to start out, but it kept getting narrower and steeper, but by then I was committed. The last bit has much loose rock, exposure, and some technical climbing. It's most dangerous. I definitely wasn't going down that way.

Heading to the western summit plateau, there was one wall to overcome that at first appears as a dead end, but there is a good hidden route just a bit to the left that is fun and only a little exposed. It's easily down climbed. After returning to the notch and going up the lower eastern summit, too, where the register is located, I found the standard route up. It was such a pleasure going down that way, after that scary gully used on the ascent.

I wanted to do Timber Mountain, too, but my legs were sore from participating in Road Runner Sports Adventure Run Thursday evening, from 7 to 8 p.m. It involved a lot more running than I was expecting.

The drive back home to Edmonds on Friday afternoon left something to be desired. From Olympia to Tacoma took about an hour, but the rest of the way home wasn't too bad. Taking the Kingston/Edmonds ferry route home instead would have been much more pleasant, but I decided to save the ferry fare.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/14ef013ff0049f54?projector=1

Lightning Peak picture at the link above. The summit is on the right. The lower eastern summit is on the left. The dangerous gully is in the center. At least it is dangerous without snow.

Another nice picture of the peak: http://images.summitpost.org/original/95337.JPG

Edited by Fred_Beavon

Regarding the small lake, I saw it from the summit, but I have no info on getting to it. It didn't really look very appealing.

Regarding the route up Lightning Peak, from the obvious main gully, veer way, way left to the ridge between Timber Mountain and the east summit of Lightning Peak. Then traverse the ridge over to 4654'.

Edited by Fred_Beavon