REI buys Mountain Project

olyclimber

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is quite an unexpected market for REI considering how their climbing aisle at many stores has been shrinking.

Well, a couple thoughts on this. This is mainly to bolster their online business, and MP was rolling out some new sister sites that will likely have greater reach then MP itself, so I actually think it's a pretty smart move. I would say it's similar to Amazon buying dpreview.com. I think MP is a great resource and my hat is off to them for what they have accomplished, and I don't have anything negative to say about them, but I don't think they really have any allegiance to anyone compared to some of the smaller outdoor sites.

I can buy that. Backcountry created something of an online community and they are enjoying a lot of business. I would think the two are related. REI has said they want a strong web presence. Maybe they will find a way to incorporate the MP community into it.

Very refreshing to hear that MP is being allowed to continue to do what they do.