Lost Pack - South Sister Summit - PLEASE HELP!

Rstewart09

Hello -- I'm hoping/wishing/exasperatedly pleeing that I can find some help here.

I summited South Sister on Sunday 5/24 (first summit!). I camped the night before at Moraine so I was carrying all my camp gear in a pack.

I had read a few forums and saw that a few other people had dropped their packs on the way up, so I felt it was an alright thing to do. About 1M out from the lake, I knew I wouldn't be able to carry mine. So, I picked a great spot, RIGHT on the trail, on a rock clearing, with a ridge ahead, so I'd see it clear as day on the way down.

However, it was no clear as day on my way down. Storm rolled in, I got off trail, found the trail, but missed my back. Conditions were not appropriate for me to comfortably go back.

So...I'm hoping by the grace of the mountain Gods -- that someone has seen this pack today or in the coming days.

---DESCRIPTION---

Blue North Face 70-75L Pack

Contains general camping gear (tent, bag, mat, stove, foodstuffs)

My ID and Insurance card are in the top pocket (Rachel S.)

Two bright green socks are tied to the hip straps.

---APPROXIMATE LOCATION---

Between 1.5-2.5m north of Moraine Lake

Right before a medium sized ridge

Located on the east side of the "trail" (currently it's a stomped snow path)

Pack is on an oval rock patch, adjacent some free standing jagged rocks.

IF ANYONE comes across it I would love for you to either drop a pin on google maps and send me the coordinates (I'll hoof it back up there!)

OR Bring it down and give me a call

319-310-7667

I'm in Portland and would be able to drive down immediately to get it.

There will be a reward.

Can I also mention, just for sympathy, that 90% of the items were borrowed? frown

PLEASE HELP!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was near the trail and obvious as you describe I'm confident you'll get it back. I assume you’ve posted on the hiking forums as well?

Last year I found a full pack at treeline on Mt. Hood between Barrett Spur and Cathedral Ridge – complete with tent, sleeping bag, and three bottles of beer. It was well off trail so I’m guessing the owner dropped it on his way up and couldn’t find it on his way down. The wilderness permit attached was two years old. I contacted authorities and determined that he was not reported as missing. Also included were many personal effects. I had the name, address, even social security number of the owner. I traced him to last known address – sent FB posts, registered letters, left phone messages, etc. and never heard back. I finally sent his dog tags to DOD and threw the rest away as it was not in great condition . Sure wish I knew the story behind that. The tent was a large heavy Coleman four man tent so I suspect there were others affected as well.

I appreciate your story of confidence. I've posted here and at OregonHikers.com. Do you have any other recommendations of where to post?

I've also called Deschutes National Forest and left a message with a gentleman who seems to be in charge of these sorts of things.

I'm desperate as the majority of these things were borrowed -- it's just an awful feeling of irresponsibility :(

If I don't hear anything this week, I'll probably head down to Bend for round two of the hike to see if I can recover it myself in better weather.

I appreciate your story of confidence. I've posted here and at OregonHikers.com. Do you have any other recommendations of where to post?

I've also called Deschutes National Forest and left a message with a gentleman who seems to be in charge of these sorts of things.

I'm desperate as the majority of these things were borrowed -- it's just an awful feeling of irresponsibility :(

If I don't hear anything this week, I'll probably head down to Bend for round two of the hike to see if I can recover it myself in better weather.

This is, of course, the best course of action... Not that there's anything wrong with soliciting help. Hope you find it!