[TR] Smith - Monkey Face Highline 5/7/2005

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So dude, what's going through your head when you are doing that... Are you looking down, or just at the line? And what's with the safety tether? I bet it would be way cooler without one, maybe while you are drinking a mountain dew or something. What happens if you have to take a piss half way across... Can you stop and go? Now that would be a sweet trick. Way to go dude, looks pretty cool in the pics. Thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

I have been slacklining for several years but nothing ever higher than about 8-10 feet off the ground. with that height you have peripheral vision to help balance. I usually focus on the line about 5 feet in front of me and peripherally look at the ground past that. It doesnt work so well when the ground is 60 meters away. my focus point was on the anchor itself because that was the closest thing that wasn't going to move. the two falls that I did while walking were because I shifted my vision and focus for a millisecond off of the anchor. It really is true that World War 3 could have erupted around me and I wouldn't have noticed. The focus from that mental state is something I have never experienced before and it was really neat.

If anyone else is a highliner; what is a safer way to back up the line than 3 pieces of webbing? some friends of mine said the webbing could easily break if I had taken a full 10 foot fall onto the leash(I grabbed the line in my falls)

Good work Ian, those are some sweet photos you got there. I'll take aiding the bold ladder behind some slow people over stuck ropes on rap anyday. That static line's still good for one or two more days out there. Next time we climb Monkey Space though.

• 9 years later...
  • 6 months later...

A few weekends ago, was the unofficial highline fest at smith rock. There are now over 30 lines that can be rigged in the park and I believe that there were 18 rigged at once during the fest. Here are a couple shots from the fest.

[img:left]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206377926260085&set=gm.733863526719325&type=3&theater[/img]

[img:left]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206377925700071&set=pcb.733863526719325&type=3&theater[/img]

[img:left]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206267666983672&set=gm.727944567311221&type=3&theater[/img]

[img:left]

[/img]