[TR] Telluride & Silverton, CO - Ames Ice Hose 12/18/2014

Trip: Telluride & Silverton, CO - Ames Ice Hose - Ames Ice Hose

Date: 12/18/2014

Trip Report:

Trying to do a better job of sharing here….better late than never.

2014-Colorado-Ice-012-2.JPG

Early season my friend Dallen and I drove from SLC late Wednesday for a 3 day ice climbing trip on some CO ice. Slept just off hwy90 somewhere between Moab and Telluride. Early rise Thursday morning had us at the Ames Power Station and on the trail.

2014-Colorado-Ice-021.JPG

The base was very fat….what was usually an WI5/M6 start was just a nice hunk of steep ice.

2014-Colorado-Ice-048.JPG

2014-Colorado-Ice-069.JPG

Dallen got after the first pitch - His first climb of the season. The spin drift was unrelenting and showered non-stop.

2014-Colorado-Ice-118-3.JPG

2014-Colorado-Ice-130.JPG

After joining him at the top of pitch one we swapped leads.

2014-Colorado-Ice-161.JPG

2014-Colorado-Ice-196.JPG

Day 02 we checked out Silverton and since there were already a few parties on Bridal Veil we climbed a short mixed route directly across from BV…not sure the name. Fun and rampy.

Day 03 we wrapped up the trip with an early start on Bridal Veil

2014-Colorado-Ice-237.JPG

Another classic CO route. This was my first time climbing in CO and it didn't disappoint.

2014-Colorado-Ice-255.JPG

- Michael

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little ice hose beta for next time, bring 70's and link the first two pitches. You have to belay a super short pitch to the base of the final long flow (unless you're belayer likes getting clobbered) but you can avoid the belayer slaying at that crummy stance at the base of the hose.

Sick route and a steal this year! If you've got time afterwards drive up to Ophir and do the short ski tour that starts right from town.

The San Juans are one of the coolest spots I've been, rugged like the cascades, but with less bushwhacking and it actually gets cold enough for reliable ice climbing!