Tieton in March?

bedellympian

I have a week off in late March and thought a road trip to the Tieton for a few days might be a nice break from school. I've never been and I'm wondering if it can be warm enough to enjoy camping and climbing that time of year. Obviously the weather will determine things ultimately, but is it worth making tentative plans there or would it be a waste of time?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The place is a choss pile, and it's OK to visit for a day, but honestly a total waste of time if you plan on going there for a whole week. Rock quality is mediocre, routes are very repetitive.

Probably Trout Creek (if it's not closed for raptor nesting during that time), combined with some Smith action would be much more advisable.

Another good option for March would be Skaha in B.C. by Penticton. Daytime temps should be OK for climbing in the sun. The cliffs face mostly East or West, so you can climb in the shade or in the sun all day long. Free camping is a bit of a ghetto there, but manageable.

Also be careful with rattlesnakes in Tieton. I have never seen more rattlesnakes in on place then in the canyon. I found a rattlesnake under my rope bag. I had several of them slithering through my rope on the ground. I have also seen a couple of times rattlesnakes inside cracks.

Since you are in Bend, and want to get out of town, Owens River George by Bishop would be a better place to visit. A further drive would land you in limestone by Ely, NV. Red Rocks would be prime for climbing during that time (albeit probably wee crowded during that spring brake), but it's far better destination then Tieton.

Agree with GGK. A week is not worth it at Tieton or its cousin Vantage. Think big picture for a week. Smith Rock(which should be a big duh for you) and Bishop (Owen's River Gorge) have great conditions that time of year. Both have good camping. No big city lights but climber amenities. The experience will be way beyond Tieton.

And there are as many rattlesnakes at Skaha as in Tieton. :) Also beware Leavenworth and Vantage for those critters.

Edited by matt_warfield

I have a week off in late March and thought a road trip to the Tieton for a few days might be a nice break from school. I've never been and I'm wondering if it can be warm enough to enjoy camping and climbing that time of year. Obviously the weather will determine things ultimately, but is it worth making tentative plans there or would it be a waste of time?

Looks like the OP is after a couple of days, in which case Tieton could be fine (agree its not worthy of a week). Obviously, you're not getting a break from the OR basalt.

Climbing weather is likely to be good, though the camping tends to be higher than the crags, so will still be wearing the puffy most of the time.