New Book Finally Published!

layton

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd love it if you bought the book off Amazon.com to give it a positive review.

I'm having trouble getting the word out, probably because it's a 2nd edition and I'm very busy and poor with school. I would love some suggestions for marketing it. I think it's a great book and I'd want to know about it. Is it too expensive?

edit: okay i'm going nuts...already posted the exact thing previously. duh. Well mods, feel free to delete this...

Edited by layton

word of mouth seems to be working -- everyone who's had the opportunity to look at my copy has wanted to order one...

I'll post a review for you as soon as I've read enough of it to write an informed one...

first impression is the price is not at all out of line. sure, my copy, as a contributor, was free, (a screamin' deal - 700+ page reference "bible" for an old photo? there's a trade I can't pass!) but I'll buy another for my oldest son who's been drooling over mine...

-good luck with school!

-Haireball

Edited by montypiton

So my buddy Michael just released his second edition of his monster book: Climbing Faster, stronger, and healthier! Picture ALL of the "How to" books of climbing put into one! Also throw out all of the mundane beginner fundamentals. It is literally 12 books in one. Outstanding information in all of these areas:

1. Training Basics (my weakness)

2. Preparation and prevention, covers 99% of the body.( web discount codes for the other 1%)

3.4. Exercises.

5, 6. The Mental aspects of climbing and training. Cant get enough on this subject.

7,8. Health and nutrition.

9-12. More than you can ever imagine on planning skills technical equipment, and trickery. These sections validate the old saying "old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill, every time" You will be a way more savvy climber after these chapters!

I am lucky man to have such great friends. I tend to be drawn to intelligent people. Though it seems unlikely to have an occasional conflict with such considerate and thoughtful friends, it can happen. I recall a heated argument that left me at odds with my best friend. I wanted to do The Fine Line on Elephants perch, but I did not want to have to lead all of its difficult pitches ( all 12 of them are difficult). I was lucky to find a person to swap leads at the base camp to replace my now upset friend. He was lucky that he found a partner as well to do an easier route. I felt bad for the move, but this is typical behavior for an ambitious nature/bastard. We later talked and made amends, but his argument had holes. I remember him saying: " Well, you have gotten better" (as a climber). My reply was, " well, ALL of climbing has gotten better" ..and continues to. It is up to each individual to either keep up, or enjoy the easier routes with people that stay at moderate difficulty climbs.

I recall another argument I had with a younger friend. I do enjoy discovering when I take the wrong side of the agreement >in this case> We we talking about the harder routes and how after a climb like the Passenger gets done. I thought very few ascents occur annually say, 2-3. We later met that many at the Mazama store that had climbed it prior, or had climbed it that weekend. "Its the new thing" he explained, everybody's doing these routes that just a few years prior were thought to be sacred relics of difficulty!

People, the day is here when the crowded classics are no longer just the 5.8s and 9s of yesteryear! They are your dream routes, and they are getting done all the time.

Throw in the aging issue, finding partners and keeping up with the culture of the area, you have your work cut out for you. How about the safety issue? The more fit we are the safer and enjoyable the experience.You wouldn't even be looking for improvement and knowledge if you ware happy with where you are. It has been my pleasure to work on the several of the ideas in Michael's book, through trial and conversation over the years, It makes me proud to be friends with a person willing to take on the struggle of amassing such a great body of work. I hope it invigorates your passion for the the next big adventure as it has mine.

There are so many reasons to want to be a more fit and efficient outdoor person. How about just the joy of sending some amazing hard route? Setting yourself up for that sick trad route? You're first - first ascent?, or just looking good at the lake? How about living longer and a more fulfilled life , because, you will only get this one.

We spring forth from the Earth, and it is always calling us back. Enjoy Michaels new book, Wayne

• 3 weeks later...