Mt. Baker 3-Fingers Lookout Objectives

Travs17

Hi,

I'll be in Washington mid/late June for a Rainier climb and a partner and I are wanting to tack on a summit trip to 3-Fingers Lookout in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest area. If anyone has experience on this trail and can share their thoughts on what types of conditions to expect, what gear is needed, and any other helpful idea it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been there but I think a friend of mine told me the road was out.

Check http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/home/?cid=stelprdb5150593 for local road conditions.

From the WTA site http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/three-fingers:Drive the Mtn Loop Hwy (92) to milepost 7 at the top of the hill and look for two large telephone poles set close together on the left. These mark the turn onto FS Road 41. Turn onto it, and stay on the main road uphill. Three roads leave 92 at this point, but two are private. FS 41 is the eastmost of the three. The sign for FS 41 is about 100 feet down the road. Stay left as you pass several roads. Turn right onto FS 4160. At about 17.5 miles there will be a trailhead signed for Goat Flats.

From the FS site: "Tupso Pass 41 CLOSED (Snow) - Closed to all motorized traffic at mile 8.1 (0.1 miles past the Canyon Creek Bridge) due to road damage. OK to hike or bike to trailhead. There is currently no timeline for repairs to the road damage beyond mile 8. Trailhead is at mile 18."

Personally, sounds like a great place to go if you have a mountain bike and some extra time. No visitors. SWEET!

Good luck!

I took my wife up there a few years back. We went later in the season so you may encounter a bit more snow on the trail than we did. Near the top you'll have to traverse a steep-ish snow slope above rocks and cliffs. You'll want an ice axe for this, potentially crampons depending on the snow conditions, and if you want to be extra careful then a rope and picket will keep you from taking Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Blowing it here would not be pretty. There is some 3rd class scrambling to reach the ladders that get you to the summit. Collect a few flat rocks before you climb the ladders. These are useful for making poop sandwiches that you can chuck off the summit since there are no facilities at the lookout. Secret pro tip: bring bedroom slippers to wear while hanging out at the lookout. Way more comfy than boots. Not so secret pro tip: wake up early- sunrise over the Pickets is not a view to miss.