[TR] Mount Baker - Coleman Headwall 1/25/2014

Jacob Smith

Trip: Mount Baker - Coleman Headwall

Date: 1/25/2014

Trip Report:

Last weekend Ryan Hoover and I climbed the Coleman Headwall on Mount Baker. Conditions were phenomenal, with ice up to AI5 and a fair amount of neve.

[img:center]http://images.summitpost.org/medium/885509.jpg[/img]

For a full report, included the accident that followed, click here.

Gear Notes:

One 70m rope, half a dozen screws, two pickets, two tools each.

crampons...

Approach Notes:

Road was open to within about a mile and a half of the Heliotrope Ridge trailhead and the trail to the Hogsback was clearly discernible, no floatation necessary.

Glacier to the base of the headwall was simple enough, many crevasses filled with snow.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacob! So glad to hear that you are (relatively) OK!! Take care and heal up, that sounds painful. I was one of the rescue guys on scene with you (Sirocco helmet), and I was wondering what the final tally of injuries were.

Looks like the headwall was pretty stout and lean for mid-winter.

Great trip! I am glad you had a relatively good rescue experience. I have read a few reports of people being unable to self arrest for one reason or another this winter and it reminds me to keep my helmet on and make sure I don't put the tools away until I am certain there is no need for them any more.

Thanks for the TR and the great photos! I was up there that day too skiing the C-D and saw you guys high on the route. Looked quite nice; well done!

Glad you're OK all things considered, and I wish you a speedy recovery. My partner lost an edge heading down from the hogsback that afternoon as well and would have turned into a missile if it wasn't for his whippit. Crazy conditions that weekend...