[TR] Whitehorse Mountain - Standard 1/20/2014

Jacob Smith

Trip: Whitehorse Mountain - Standard

Date: 1/20/2014

Trip Report:

On Monday the 20th Adam Walker, Josh Lewis and I climbed Whitehorse Mountain via the standard route. We camped at the trailhead and started the hike at 3am, but due to some slowdowns with a couple members of the team bailing we did not make the summit until 12:45.

Route finding was not all that difficult, the trick to the traverse past Lone Tree Pass seems to be to go low and stay low, the correct gully is obvious once you are below it. The summit block itself was fairly simple, 60 degree snow that took bucket steps very well followed by a short, steeper section to the crest. I belayed Adam and Josh up on a picket and then they rappelled, leaving me to clean the anchor and down-climb.

All in all it was a great day on a peak I’ve been wanting to get up for a long time.

[img:center]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VYD7JPiYrR8/UubfkB9GpqI/AAAAAAAAB8A/B32-2gAdyB0/s1600/P1200957.JPG[/img]

Additional photos can be found here.

Gear Notes:

Snow conditions were phenomenal, with excellent cramponing for the vast majority of the route, we carried snowshoes but did not need them. Also not needed were the second tool, the ice screws, and the small rock rack that I carried.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NICCCCE! you guys friggen SCORED! doesn't get any better for conditions than ... this/that. bet ya have some really sweet pics, like this one ... SO...???

and better to have, and not need, than to not, and don't. Been there to many times in the past, so most all-ways,(cause, never again) i have mass stuff, i didn't use. The movie done just to the east here, was all based on the .. "now we don't have it, and what we guna do now???"