Ha-ro from North Korea!

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that (like drug and alcohol abuse) overeating and obesity are a disease, and should be treated as such. But in order for people to get better, rest of us have to stop giving them a laundry list of excuses. I work with fat people every day, some of them in a lot of pain. I try to educate them and convince them, that it is their PERSONAL responsibility to take care of their body. Giving excuses is not helping.

The fact of the matter is, that any healthcare system in this country is doomed, unless you re-regulate food industry.

Sounds great. What regulations do you suggest? I think insurance companies should charge fat people higher premiums, the same way they might charge smokers more.

yes, let's charge everyone! Let's charge a person with mental illness more while you are at it! and if your kid gets sick- double the rates! wtf?

before you start pointing fingers, why don't you tell us what is your body fat percentage.

I understand that (like drug and alcohol abuse) overeating and obesity are a disease, and should be treated as such. But in order for people to get better, rest of us have to stop giving them a laundry list of excuses. I work with fat people every day, some of them in a lot of pain. I try to educate them and convince them, that it is their PERSONAL responsibility to take care of their body. Giving excuses is not helping.

The fact of the matter is, that any healthcare system in this country is doomed, unless you re-regulate food industry.

Sounds great. What regulations do you suggest? I think insurance companies should charge fat people higher premiums, the same way they might charge smokers more.

yes, let's charge everyone! Let's charge a person with mental illness more while you are at it! and if your kid gets sick- double the rates! wtf?

wait, what happened? I thought we were agreeing? What happened to your whole, "personal responsibility" thing? Now I'm totally confused. It's like there are two different people posting under the same username.

Speaking of mental illness, are you suggesting that being born with a mental illness such as bi-polar disorder is a relevant comparison to being obese because of overeating? Will eating better and exercising cure your schizophrenia? Maybe you should give it a try.

before you start pointing fingers, why don't you tell us what is your body fat percentage.

My body fat is about 10-12% right now, which is a bit high going into March but by the end of the race season I'll probably be below 9 or so (skinfold). I'm a month or so behind right now because of a knee thing I've been rehabbing. Ask me after Cascade in July!

only because the communist food delivery systems lag far behind our superior market driven slop troughs. clearly communism triumphs in this regard.
Yes, communist delivery systems sometimes are actually quite effective, only the respective purveyors don't lie as much as their counterparts in capitalist systems do by saying those systems are really about distributing food. If I understand correctly, under the communist regimes, they just call it like it is, saying the equivalent systems are about weapons, you know, chemical and biological. Bizzare as this might seem, I say give credit where credit is due: Mercifully, the commie/tyrants to whom we allude promise a quick demise, whereas here we make it slow and painful, sometimes involving years of progressive morbidity before onset of death.

As is discussed extensively in the article linked to by Tvash, we've got it down to a "most extraordinary science," with companies like General Mills and Phillip Morris perfecting the scheme to a level that arguably puts to shame some of the best efforts made by weapons contractors who market their wares to the DOD and various other warring entities around the world, to the end that a certain macabre economic efficiency can be provided, sort of like how our food industry presently provides with decisive equanimity to all who sucker up and suck down the Kool-Aid.

It goes like this, part by part, repeat after me: "It's OK to feed children Lunchables, It's OK to feed children Lunchables." Or alternatively, as another example, chant this mantra instead: "Sugar is OK, it's just calories. Sugar is OK, it's just calories." OK, good. Next lesson will commence at same time, same station. Please bring your questions on how to better prepare sugar and fats for your nutritional needs, so that our certified nutritional experts can help you get sick have what you deserve.

Give him a break. As a result of occupational hazards innate to his vocation, GGK's hands have morphed into a pair of skin-fold calipers. Wouldn't you be just a little bit freaked out too (and especially conflicted about the topic of fat people) if this had happened to you?