Site Slowness and Problems

jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've figured out the problem. I have not tested to see how many browsers this affects, but in Safari there seems to be an incompatibility between the twitter feed box and the reply icon set. I've disabled the twitter feed until there is a workaround. I know you are all crushed :grin:

• 10 months later...
curious, what are you guys running on?

We have are on a dedicated dual core 4Gigs ram, standard LAMP setup. Our db is on a shared DB server. We are looking at moving the DB onto the dedicated and putting nginx in front of apache to serve static content.

MySQL. We've had a DBA look into things. The problem is we have some pretty expensive queries, mainly the forum search query. I've been working on moving the forum search over to Solr which is insanely fast. We are also looking at moving the db onto a separate VPS or maybe a dedicated.

Hey Everyone,

As I'm sure everyone has noticed we've been having some problems the last week or so which culminated in today's downtime. There are two issues behind this.

First, our database for the forum has grown in size to the point where some of the queries are bogging down the database server. As a short term solution we are looking at getting our databases on some better hardware.

Second, our web host, who we've been with for 10 years, appears to be having problems keeping up with their growth. They have served us well (no pun intended), but it's time to find something that fits us better. Before these issues even came up I started looking at our options, and we are still evaluating those. I'm hoping to get our servers in Seattle to remove one weak link in this puzzle.

There is actually one last issue. There might be a misconception that there are several of us working full-time running cc.com, which is far from the truth. There are two of us right now, just Porter and myself, and we keep this up, dealing with host issues, tech support, help desk support, all the non-sense, in our spare time. So with that in mind I hope everyone can hang in here with us as we work through these server issues.

Thanks!

No worries. I certainly appreciate all the hard work that goes into maintaining the site, esp. since this isn't your real gig. When cc.com goes down, it just serves as a reminder that I need to get a life. I need that every now and again. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

We are sorry for the downtime this morning. We just moved our databases onto newer faster hardware but obviously there is something not right. We'll get it figured out. Thanks for the understanding.