[TR] Milestone Mountain & Midway Mountain - via Shepherd Pass 9/3/2011

off_the_hook

Trip: Milestone Mountain & Midway Mountain - via Shepherd Pass

Date: 9/3/2011

Trip Report:

An adventure run to climb Milestone Mountain (13,641 ft) and Midway Mountain (13,666 ft) along the Great Western Divide, two of the most remote points in the High Sierra. The run entailed over 40 miles and the duration was just over 17 hours, starting at 2:50 am and finishing up just before 8 pm. Milestone Creek and Basin are exceptionally scenic with lovely alpine lakes and tarns, polished granite, and the towering peaks of the Great Western Divide.

Shepherd Pass is known as one of the most grueling approaches in the Eastern Sierra with over 6,000 feet of elevation gain in 10+ miles. The trail also includes a 600 ft descent that becomes an nice slow ascent on the way back after a long day! I reached the pass about 3 hours and 20 minutes after beginning. The next few miles down Tyndall Creek had some great running with the gentle downhill slope, relatively smooth trail, and inspiring alpenglow over the Great Western Divide. I even ran with (startled) several groups of deer through the meadows. Progress on the trail connecting the John Muir Trail to the Kern River was slower partially due to the photography stops at small alpine lakes and the breathtaking views of the Great Western Divide and Kings-Kern Divide. The summit pinnacle of Milestone Mountain was the centerpiece of the view although it still looked far, even after traveling 17+ miles to reach this point. I was also intrigued by the jagged summit of Thunder Mountain peeking in the distance.

Once on the Kern River trail, I descended a little too far into the canyon losing some time and energy, but after recovering from my error it was a quick trip up Milestone Creek to Milestone Basin. There is a faint abandoned trail in the beginning portion that is helpful. Milestone Basin is another Sierra paradise with spectacular scenery - extremely picturesque and photogenic (and I took many photos!). I continued up above tree line where the vegetation transitioned into seemingly interminable boulder fields leading to the pinnacle of Milestone Mountain. The boulders became looser and steeper as I approached the final scramble and at this point I also felt the altitude slowing me down after having come directly from sea level.

I eventually made it up to the notch north of Milestone's pinnacle and continued up the rock scramble to the summit where I was treated to stupendous 360 degree views with my favorite the angle across Milestone Bowl to the Kaweah Range. It was quite chilly on the summit with a breeze so I put on all the warmth I brought. After 30 minutes on top I retraced my route down the scramble and headed for Midway Mountain.

It took a little under 2 hours to reach the summit of Midway with more great views. On the descent from Midway, I headed to a lake below Table Mountain, descending boulders and then friendly granite slabs. Table Mountain forms a gorgeous amphitheater around this small lake and the stream emanating from the lake meanders through grassy meadows and polished slabs - quintessential Sierra sweetness! More great scenery continued as I made the descent down to Milestone Creek with views across the Kern Canyon to the Mount Whitney area.

The trail portion back through Upper Kern to Tyndall Creek and Shepherd Pass was more laborious with tired legs, but the views continued to motivate. I took a break at Shepherd Pass and enjoyed the evening sunshine before the descent into the shade on the east side of the pass for the remainder of the adventure run. I jogged most of the way back along the trail save for the 600 ft ascent out of Shepherd Creek that seemed to take forever! Alpenglow over Mount Williamson was the prize when I reached the crest of this last ascent. I made it back to the car just before 8 pm as the last light faded.

milestone104.JPG

milestone117.JPG

milestone106.JPG

castle02.JPG

castle05.JPG

castle07.JPG

castle09.JPG

castle10.JPG

milestone110.JPG

milestone111.JPG

milestone109.JPG

castle13.JPG

castle14.JPG

castle15.JPG

castle16.JPG

castle171.JPG

castle18.JPG

castle19.JPG

castle27.JPG

castle33.JPG

castle35.JPG

milestone101.JPG

milestone01.JPG

milestone04.JPG

milestone06.JPG

milestone08.JPG

milestone13.JPG

milestone16.JPG

milestone19.JPG

milestone20.JPG

milestone21.JPG

milestone115.JPG

milestone114.JPG

milestone22.JPG

milestone23.JPG

milestone24.JPG

milestone25.JPG

milestone31.JPG

milestone32.JPG

milestone27.JPG

milestone102.JPG

milestone44.JPG

milestone46.JPG

milestone108.JPG

milestone69.JPG

milestone71.JPG

milestone73.JPG

milestone74.JPG

milestone76.JPG

milestone77.JPG

milestone78.JPG

milestone79.JPG

milestone81.JPG

milestone82.JPG

milestone85.JPG

milestone84.JPG

milestone86.JPG

milestone881.JPG

milestone100.JPG

milestone92.JPG

milestone931.JPG

milestone94.JPG

milestone95.JPG

milestone96.JPG

milestone98.JPG

milestone99.JPG

Gear Notes:

Black Diamond Distance Poles, La Sportiva Fireblades, Ultimate Direction Wasp Pack

Approach Notes:

Over Shepherd Pass, down Tyndall Creek and across to the upper Kern Canyon and up Milestone Creek.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No de-throning going on here - if I could trade my outing for this one I would in a heartbeat. The driving sucks and there is no competition between a day spent in the Sierras vs. a day hiking up volcanic scree. And I'm pretty sure Off The Hook could kick my ass in any kind of run if that's what you are getting at.

Nice TR and photos btw