[TR] Bear Creek Spire & Mount Dade - Via Rock Creek/Little Lakes Valley 7/4/2011

off_the_hook

Trip: Bear Creek Spire & Mount Dade - Rock Creek/Little Lakes Valley

Date: 7/2/2011

Trip Report:

I climbed Bear Creek Spire and Mount Dade out of Rock Creek/Little Lakes Valley in the Eastern Sierra as part of a weekend of adventure running over the holiday weekend. The lakes below 11k were unfrozen while the lakes above 11k remain partly to mostly frozen. With the onset of warm temperatures, snow conditions are changing rapidly. We timed the morning light perfectly with some great reflection shots and then ascended up to the head of the valley where solid snow begins just above Gem Lakes. The snowpack heading up to Cox Col from Dade Lake was nicely consolidated and the steeper slopes were great for cramponing (crampons might not be necessary with boots, but we used trail runners). The view from the summit pinnacle of Bear Creek Spire was as amazing as I had recalled from four years prior. After Bear Creek Spire we traversed along the west side of the crest and found a steep, loose gully to take us into Dade Bowl on the east side of the crest. I ascended to the summit of Mount Dade with some distasteful post-holing on the upper snowfields but the great views and glissade down the Hourglass more than compensated. I soaked in more great views from Treasure Lakes all the way back to the trailhead; 10:15 roundtrip.

littlelakes100.JPG

Marsh Lake

littlelakes03.JPG

littlelakes01.JPG

littlelakes19.JPG

Long Lake

littlelakes20.JPG

littlelakes99.JPG

littlelakes28.JPG

littlelakes30.JPG

littlelakes32.JPG

littlelakes34.JPG

Mount Dade

littlelakes44.JPG

littlelakes62.JPG

littlelakes69.JPG

Bear Creek Spire summit pinnacle

littlelakes73.JPG

littlelakes79.JPG

Bear Creek Spire from the summit of Mount Dade

littlelakes84.JPG

Mount Abbot

littlelakes92.JPG

Treasure Lakes

littlelakes96.JPG

littlelakes08.JPG

Gear Notes:

Black Diamond Neve Strap Crampons, Ice Axe, Ultimate Direction Wasp Pack, La Sportiva Fireblade Trail Runners, First Endurance EFS and Liquid Shot

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic