Early August Hood routes

needtoclimb

I'll be taking the family camping around the Mt. Hood area the second week of August and am looking for recommendations for a one-day ascent of Hood. It will be my wife and I doing the climb (while the grandparents watch our kids.)

I have done the south chute and Leuthold Coulour, both much earlier in the season. Is the south chute still doable? Does it turn into an ice climb: screws, tools and rope? (that's not a big deal, I am just asking so I know what gear to bring down on the camping trip.)

Any other routes that I should consider?

thanks

Edited by needtoclimb

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just climbed Hood on Saturday via Old Chute. It was my first time on the mountain so I'm not familiar with other routes. We roped up after the Devil's Kitchen and put in a fixed line for the last ~100 feet just before the knife ridge as it was near vertical. I'd bring protection.

The knife ridge wasn't bad, mix of snow and rock.

I agree with Ivan August is not a great month. I am not even sure how good Cooper Spur would be as one would probably be on a bit of rock in places.

You are close enough to pick better conditions. Take kids and grandparents for a hike to some of cool places around the hill.

i will 2nd/3rd/4th this.. I mean I stop climbing in May because the mountain starts to open up and unload more, and I've been playing on it all winter. But when I'm seeing these TRs for southside for late July and people talking about climbs in weeks ahead it's kinda 'wtf' - this mountain gets gross and done up high. there are greener climbing pastures to be had elsewhere.

i will 2nd/3rd/4th this.. I mean I stop climbing in May because the mountain starts to open up and unload more, and I've been playing on it all winter. But when I'm seeing these TRs for southside for late July and people talking about climbs in weeks ahead it's kinda 'wtf' - this mountain gets gross and done up high. there are greener climbing pastures to be had elsewhere.

Thanks all. This is exactly the beta I was looking for. Firsthand knowledge of the late-season route. I appreciate it. We will go look for something else.

Now, any recommendations fun technical (or semi-technical) route near the Hood area for a party of three. I don't get down to that area often (Except to climb at Smith), so it would be fun to bag a peak while I am down there.