• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
The Cascade Kid

[TR] Talkeetna Mountains AK - Bomber Traverse 4/22/2016

Trip: Talkeetna Mountains AK - Bomber Traverse

Date: 4/22/2016

Trip Report:

From April 16th to the 21st of this year, my now-fiance Taylor and I made a circuit of the classic Talkeetnas ski loop, the Bomber Traverse.

The loop itself is no huge effort, with 20-some miles and 6000' of gain interrupted by three huts. It's been skied in a day by plenty of folks, but going a bit heavier we spent 6 days in the range skiing great snow under blue skies.

I've written up our trip, including a pdf with beta to complement Joe Stock's guidebook, and an annotated caltopo map. There are a lot more photos than I can possibly share here. The post is in two parts:

Skiing the Bomber Traverse: Part 1

Skiing the Bomber Traverse: Part 2

IMG_5237.jpg

Skinning up the little susitna on the first day.

IMG_5224.jpg

Taylor climbing backdoor gap between the Mint and Bomber huts.

DSCN9231.jpg

Taylor skins below the Snowbird glacier Nunataq.

IMG_5665.jpg

The Bomber hut at moonrise.

IMG_55601.jpg

Harvesting the Alaska-grown.

Gear Notes:

Lightweight gear means more room for beer. Purposely brought the Free Range Big Medicine pack for some detailed testing. Short review: awesome.

Approach Notes:

If you can see it, you can ski it.

Nice photos - glad you had a great trip. And thanks for joining the Mountaineering Club!!