Updated: Blind Hiker needs guide - Mt Hood June 24

bradg

(I apologize for the duplicate post. I couldn't add the text to the first post, and could not delete, so started a 2nd one)

I am local to Portland, and I plan to guide a blind athlete (from Ft Collins) to the top of Mt. Hood on June 24th or 25th (weather permitting). Along with 2 other guides, we have guided our blind friend, Dan Berlin, on several endurance challenges including the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim in 1 day, the Inca Trail nonstop (13 hours), and this fall Dan plans to make history summiting and descending Kilimanjaro nonstop. We have raised over $30,000 in 2 years for several blindness causes. We are also a registered 501c charity.

Our team website is www.teamseepossibilities.com

While we are very experienced guiding Dan on trails, we do not have experience on Mountains and snow. I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to guide us up/down as a day hike? We will be trying to get local press to cover the attempt, and we will certainly provide HUGE THANKS and attribution to you on our website and facebook pages. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions or are interested. We are very grateful for any help that might be available! :)

Edited by bradg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, i sent them an email, but have not heard back yet. Since we are a nonprofit organization, we are trying to find someone interested in helping us without a fee... Or joining someone on their hike. We can't afford to pay the large fees for a day hike. Thank you for the suggestion!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this and thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. I have climbed Hood numerous times and lead club climbs on the south side every year. I am a member of one of the local mountain rescue teams and I also have a little experience leading blind climbers/hikers. I appreciate what your group is wanting to do and would like to help. I do though see a few key issues and perhaps some misconceptions that would need to be resolved.

1st, no route on Hood can really be called a "day hike". All routes require basic but solid skills in crampon/ice axe use, team roped steep snow travel, and self arrest. Even Timberline guide service would require you to already have these skills or take their course before a summit attempt.

2nd late June may be too late for an attempt. The route needs snow cover or rockfall danger becomes too great.

So... here are my suggestions. Take a basic moutaineering course. Many climbing clubs, colleges, and guide services offer them mostly in the early spring. I help instruct a club course usually offered in early April every year. You could plan to postpone your climb until next season or choose a different objective. If you want to come to come to Oregon this year, I can recommend more suitable objectives.

It's possible to gain the necessary skills and make a Hood summit attempt in 1 trip, perhaps over a long weekend. I might be able to gather some other volunteer instructors/leaders for a mini course and climb if I had enough time but I don't see it happening this year.

Let me know if you would like to talk more.

Good luck.

D. Harris