[TR] Spring Mtn - Other Side of The Tracks 3/19/2016

hanman

Trip: Spring Mtn - Other Side of The Tracks

Date: 3/19/2016

Trip Report:

New friend Dave and I took a nice trip up to Spring Mtn on Saturday. A few weeks previous I had cleared the trail of windfall and scrubbed the first 20 feet of the route which always gets a little shitty due to the seasonal snow pile; now almost disappeared.

Despite some chilly winds, and the attendant occasional spray from the waterfall to the east, we climbed the whole thing in dry conditions, and the sun peeked out towards the top.On the crux pitch, a large bald eagle hovered in the updrafts without so much as a flap. I hoped that it hadn't developed a taste for climbers on the sharp end over the winter.... Tightened a few loose nuts (mostly my own), but otherwise the route is in great shape.

FS 49 road is good to go as well. Spring is most excellent in spring, facing dead south to the sun.

MH

Gear Notes:

14 or so extendable slings

single rack to gold camalot

2 50 or 60M ropes

Approach Notes:

Damn near perfect

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the true locals seem to know when each crag will be dry....or not.

Andy and I went up for a look yesterday - fresh slushy show on the ground and the entire main wall dripping like my kitchen faucet! We schwacked way around right and finally found some dry rock over in the Dodge Dart area. Winter snow at the base is all gone. Approach trail is in fine shape, thanks to Mark and his saw!