Darrington, The Kone, 10-24-15

NDrake

Shorter days and colder temps made for a great outing at Three O'Clock Rock. It looked like silent running and big tree areas were pretty wet damp when we arrived, but thankfully our original plan of the Kone was nice and dry. I have already led the first pitch before so I let Ethan take that it and we swapped from there (should have linked P2 and 3, that second pitch was a throw away for me). On pitch 4 there was a wet streak right at the 5.9 moves in the traverse, a tenuously wide stem between positive features to edge on got me through with a giant sigh of relief.

As Ethan was about halfway through P4 it started to drizzle, when he reached the belay the wind also kicked up. He decided to take his lead of P5 anyway. The drizzle remained constant while the wind increased and by the time he reached the anchors we had to yell over it. It was downright nippley at this point, don't think I've ever followed a slab so fast. It let up while we were rappelling, but the wall was quite wet now so we decided to head home at around 3.

The%2BKone%2BP1%2Bcrux.jpg

Crux of P1, taken another day.

The%2BKone%2BP1.jpg

Coming up to the P1 belay.

The%2BKone%2BP3%2B5.9%2Bstart.jpg

Ethan setting out on the 5.9 start of P3.

The%2BKone%2BP4.jpg

After the wetness on P4.

The%2BKone%2BP5.jpg

Ethan's view back from P5, rain not visible.

Trusty.jpg

So that's why it says rack to 3", I only had smaller pro on me, but this section is easy.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully I had made it through that tough part on the start on P4 before the rain came, it was hard enough with just a wet streak!

That photo is out of order, it's 4th or 5th bolt on pitch 4 that has great hand size gear right above it. No need for these to be replaced, if you actually take the cams from your partner at the belay it would be really well protected :)

That flake above the two old bolts on that pitch rattles when you slap it. It might hold a Fall just fine but it might also fail. Even though it is not the crux of the pitch I hope to replace those old bolts but they were not high priority because, as you note, there is protection there.

But maybe no there there.