[TR] Snow Creek Wall - Hyperspace 9/24/2015

telemarker

Trip: Snow Creek Wall - Hyperspace

Date: 9/24/2015

Trip Report:

I get to climb with my good friend Dean about as often as Pope Francis visits the U.S. As luck would have it, the Pope was in town ripping congress a new one. This could only mean that Dean was able to acquire executive approval to crag for a half day with me yesterday. To get the fullest value of our abbreviated day, Hyperspace was the clear choice.

We were hiking by 1pm from the car with a quickened pace, knowing that Civil Twilight was around 7:30pm. 2:30pm we are Geared up and ready to go, we ran into a couple who had just hiked down from their day on Outer Space. "Which route you guys doing?" Uh, Hyperspace. "The whole thing? In the dark?" I'm climbing with Dean, who is synched with Pope Francis. We'll be fine...

We blast, me leading the first remorse traversey pitch. Pope Dean will get all the crux pitches today, a fact he didn't know beforehand, as I rarely get to relax on follow. This is what it looks like when you find out you get to lead Psychopath.

DSC03861.jpg

DSC03865.jpg

DSC03869.jpg

On he goes and redpoints it comfortably. I breeze through the next pitch and Deano arrives to find out he gets to lead the next crux yellow wall. A bit more apprehension...

DSC03877.jpg

He fires it off, and declares it more of a challenge than psychopath. I get the next 5.10 pitch, one of my favorites on the route. Saint Dean arrives and graciously, selflessly offers me the Pressure Chamber pitch. I've done it plenty of times, so in good conscience, I could not have possibly taken this lead opportunity from him. So, it dawns on him that this is his turn...

DSC03900.jpg

DSC03902.jpg

It's a long, enduro pitch with one of the best sting in the tails of any piece of climbing I've done. He does an admirable job, freeing all of it after a couple rests. Much better than my first time leading it. He'll cruise it next time...

I finish the last bit of difficulty, employing the Cascade Knee™ to get my old bones into the proper layback to get around the final roof. Belaying Dean at the top, I'm visited by momma goat and her kid. Kid, who's coat should be fluffy white and thick by this time, instead is dirty and thin with crusted diarrhea on its hindquarters. She looks gaunt, severely underweight and is walking like an old man. Momma goat, healthy and vibrant, patiently watches over her dying kid. She makes brief eye contact with me as she walks slowly in front of her struggling baby, completely quiet. She will not make it through this winter, or even Fall probably. They saunter on out of sight down the backside.

DSC03904.jpg

Dean tops right at 7:20. We beat Civil Twilight. We're quite pleased with ourselves. We run down to the packs and Icicle Brewery by 9pm for a lovely Bootjack toast to the half-day.

Edited by telemarker

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic