[TR] Liberty Bell Group - Liberty Traverse 6/13/2015

JasonG

Trip: Liberty Bell Group - Liberty Traverse

Date: 6/13/2015

Trip Report:

After a few years of wondering, Curt and I tackled the easy version of the Liberty traverse (Beckey rte., NF concord, NF Lexington, Chockstone on NEWS, South Arete of SEWS) a couple weekends ago in a relaxed 13 hour day from the cars. This is a really fun link up, even more so because it is quite adjustable to the ambition level of the group. We had hoped to finish on the SW buttress of SEWS, but the late hour and fatigue made the SA a lot more attractive. Even in the "light" form I think it is something like 18 guidebook pitches and 2000' of climbing, but all at the very moderate grade of 5.7 and under. Graupel showers throughout the afternoon added to the drama, but the rock never got too wet. Still, it felt like an accomplishment, and the beer at the car tasted quite good. My one bit of advice is to get an early start if you plan on beginning on the Beckey route- we narrowly beat out the hordes to start the day, though there are many other options should the Beckey rte. be jammed. The Liberty Traverse is a fine weekend warrior link up, and highly recommended!

The high one, two, three, four, and five seemed like a good idea, but the photos look a bit awkward.....

2015Liberty_Traverse15028.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15035.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15038.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15044.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15042.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15046.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15048.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15054.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15055.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15063.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15073.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15075.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15096.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15100.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15103.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15115.JPG

2015Liberty_Traverse15119.JPG

Gear Notes:

Listen to Ian.

Approach Notes:

Easy as can be

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! We did the 5.9 version of the Lib Traverse that same day (Overexposure on LB, to Directissmo on Concord, to NF of Lex (each as a single pitch) and then NW Corner of NEWS and finally SW Rib. We spotted you guys on Lexington, but never again. The NW Corner slowed us down a bit, and then we "kinda epiced" on SEWS. Took a lot longer than expected to climb it in the dark!

That is the proper way to do it, good for you guys! Curt and I were not so dedicated.

Liberty Traverse 'Lite', I'd say. Really enjoyed all the routes though, especially the Chockstone Bypass pitch on NEWS, which is surely one of the best 5.6-ish pitches at the Pass!