RIP Dean Potter

glassgowkiss

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all flow from one fountain Soul. All are expressions of one Love. God does not appear, and flow out, only from narrow chinks and round bored wells here and there in favored races and places, but He flows in grand undivided currents, shoreless and boundless over creeds and forms and all kinds of civilizations and peoples and beasts, saturating all and fountainizing all. - John Muir

cabin-on-395-eastern-sierra-steven-reed.jpg

Edited by chirp

I just created this account to tell Chirp that us who live in Yosemite and knew Dean on a personal level know how wonderful and caring he was. Your comment only speaks volumes about yourself. So on behalf of Dean, Graham, myself and whisper, you can go F##k yourself!

Are you fucking serious? Dean was an incredible person. One of the nicest guys I have ever known. He opened his home to me and was always a joy to be around. No one is perfect but I would have to say dean was a better person than your sorry ass will ever be. See you in hell chirp.

I just created this account to tell Chirp that us who live in Yosemite and knew Dean on a personal level know how wonderful and caring he was. Your comment only speaks volumes about yourself. So on behalf of Dean, Graham, myself and whisper, you can go F##k yourself!

:tup:

RIP Dean. You were a pioneer and explorer. A true original. I never sought to follow in your footsteps, but that doesn't make you any less inspiring. Fly free.

Hey CCers, let's not recycle the trash of the comment boards around the interweb. Respect deserves respect.

RIP Dean. You were a pioneer and explorer. A true original. I never sought to follow in your footsteps, but that doesn't make you any less inspiring. Fly free.

Hey CCers, let's not recycle the trash of the comment boards around the interweb. Respect deserves respect.

Here here! I agree totally, my comments were out of context and not pertinent to the thread at hand. I will go ahead and replace my post with something more suitable.

My deepest apologies.

Are you fucking serious? Dean was an incredible person. One of the nicest guys I have ever known. He opened his home to me and was always a joy to be around. No one is perfect but I would have to say dean was a better person than your sorry ass will ever be. See you in hell chirp.

It made the national radio news and it's on HuffPost.

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (AP) -- A Yosemite National Park spokesman says extreme athlete Dean Potter and another man have died in a BASE jumping accident.

The spokesman says Potter and Graham Hunt died late Saturday after attempting a wingsuit flight from a 7,500-foot promontory called Taft Point.

A search-and-rescue mission began overnight when the jumpers' spotter lost contact with them. Crews found their bodies Sunday in the Yosemite Valley. No parachutes had been deployed.

-----------------------------

So sad. I met him in 1998 half way up the Salathe, when he and Jose Pereyra were doing a speed ascent. His head was shaved and all he was wearing was shorts and a camelback. He was the epitome of being alive. I think after Jose died was when Dean started getting into the more extreme stuff.

But base jumping is an extremely dangerous sport, not sure if anyone survives doing it long term.

Dean Potter on the Salathe with Jose Pereyra leading.

FLY ON MAN

824046.jpg

As a climber, particularly if you're doing something different than the herd, it's easy to feel that the regulations don't apply to you. His legacy is far greater than a possibly legal/illegal ascent of Delicate Arch. Not to mention that it pales in absolute insignificance compared to the NPS turning one of the most unique geologic zones in the world into a drive through amusement park for tourists.

It's curious to see the response to his death. A vast majority of commentators (elsewhere) appear to be more concerned about the well being of his dog than him or his friend.

Also sad to see the "he was doing what he loved, you can't understand BASE" attitude. Seems like a majority of the well know experts in wingsuit proximity flying in this country have gotten themselves killed in the last year or two. I'm sure it's an absolutely amazing experience but man there's a lot to keep living for.