New to the PNW

OhioIcer

Hey Everyone!

I am brand new to the PNW having moved from Ohio to get at the mountains. Have some decent experience and a few classes under my belt that make me feel comfortable enough to eschew a guide service and go out in search of my own summits. My problem is, while I am pretty comfortable with my skills, I would love to learn more! That being said, I am looking for some new climbing partners that might be able to help grow as a climber and teach me a thing or two about alpine rock and ice climbing!

I was just hoping for some advice on how to FIND those type of climbers!

Anyways, I hope I posted this in the correct forum! Please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to give a run down of my skills and climbs! I have heard of the Seattle freeze and I am hoping to avoid that, however blind date climbing is just adding another risk to the climbers list :) so I totally understand that!

Thanks a lot!!

Edited by OhioIcer

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better luck trying the climbing partners section below.

Also I would recommend hitting up some climbing gyms close to you and meeting people there. You might be able to find someone to teach you everything, more than likely though you'll find someone at the same level as you and you guys can learn together.

Regarding the 'Seatttle Freeze', if you have an activity you like, such as climbing, it is relatively easy to meet new friends.

Also, to pile onto what others have said, post in the partner wanted forum and include a brief resume high lighting the level you are comfortable climbing (e.g. lead sport climbing to 5.9, trad to 5.7, completed a glacier skills class, etc.), as well as a few objectives that you have in mind for the next couple of months. Hint: volcano season is just around the corner.

If you are looking for a mentor situation, offer to drive, buy beer, etc. in exchange of tutelage. There are a lot of very experienced climbers on this board who are past their sturm and drang years who still love getting out into the hills and enjoy passing along their hard won wisdom to the next generation.

Edited by DPS

while you said that you don't want to take a course, the basic climbing courses from local clubs are a good way to meet a fair amount of people. Depending on the club size, as a bonus, it may be full of people close to where you live.

I met a lot of good folks from the bellingham mtneers class back in the day.

Not sure about in the kent area.

Edited by genepires

Thanks everyone! I will post on the climbing partners forum. Genepires, I was really looking into taking those classes because it would be an awesome way to meet people but I would be paying a lot to learn skills I already have. I just don't know if that would be the right investment!

Thanks again!

it has been a long time since I was in one but back then it was real cheap. Seem to remember it was like $100 for a really long string of classes and outings. (bellingham mteers)

inflation has jacked up the course to $650 so you may have a good point.

$375 for boealps.

maybe if you are correct in your skills assessment, you should take an intermediate course? meet people and learn something new? (boealps is $490)

of course the problem is that many of these may have passed for application deadlines but then maybe next year if things don't work out well enough?

good luck'

gene

Edited by genepires