Saint Helens

Buckshot

I would like to climb up/ski down Saint Helens this winter. I am choosing winter b/c people I know have said its way better in snow. I have climbed Rainier, Adams and Hood all by the easy routes so I'm not brand new but by no means am I salty. Can anyone give me some beta on the climb/hike? Specifics I'm kind of looking for are: time to climb, best months to go, um...other stuff I need to know that I don't even know to ask about.

Sorry to be so vague but I've never even seen it in the winter so I'm open to any wisdom I can get. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you get some good beta on current snow conditions. I climbed it last Christmas and there was no skiing. It was hard all the way and you definitely needed crampons. The normal summer trailhead is closed but there is a snow park area for winter use. Pretty easy trail to follow until you get above tree line. From there just go wherever you want. Make sure you check avalanche conditions too and know what to look for while on the mountain. If there has been a lot of recent snow and wind the ridge up top can be pretty corniced too. Well that is about all got, just go have fun on a good weather day with good snow and low avy danger!

May is prime time for St Helens skiing. Winter skiing on volcanos can be fun, but is often very wind effected and you're susceptible to the weather much more so than lower down in the trees where soft snow might persist longer between storms. Not discouraging... but if your only motivation was to hit snow, not a winter ascent, spring is the prime time...