RIP Corvallisclimb

wayne

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, Corduroy Boy on the other hand, was a true free spirit. The world didn't deserve him and will be a shitty, shitty place without him. He was a spaz. He was a geniune person. He didn't give a fuck what anyone though of him. I blew off his requests to climb stupid shit left and right. I'd give anything to climb something stupid with him now. He was an example to us all. It's not about how good you are but the spirit you possess. He was someone I could be myself around, joke, be an idiot, laugh, and relax. Goddamnit you will be sorely missed. I will never forget you and I'm sorry I wasn't a better friend. Love ya my "A #1 super friend"

no shrinking violet that one - opinionated and cantankerous for certain - wish i'd been on better terms w/ him before he went away - he idolized dean fry and jim anglin of course and sadly followed them in too-soon accidental demise - hope there'll be someone to continue his passion for replacing old gear and promoting the menagerie

"wise sir do not grieve

it is always better to avenge dear ones

than to indulge in mourning

for every one of us living in this world

means waiting for our end

let he who can achieve glory before death

when a warrior is gone

that will be his best and only bulwark"

Tyler's stoke was unmatched. I have so many emails from him with the best quotables, just a few I could drum up quickly. Tyler was a modern day TM Herbert with the pen, I mean keyboard:

On putting up routes in the Owyhee canyon lands:

Sweet... I've been drooling over the spire pics down there for years. I've got a couple of power drills, and shit fuck tons of boltin supplys... what you thinken, something that may require a bolt ladder? Tuff does drill extremely fast by had, but power is always nice . Well lets just keep tossing the stoak around and make it happen!

On beating Lyme disease:

Should be rid of this Lyme Disease soon, then I can get drunk more often too!

On Mr. Frick:

CAPTAIN FUCKING FRIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On finding new crags:

god that picture looks fucking familiar like something ive seen... ive seen so much shit now im always forgetting need to keep better track of shit! buttt so where is it then? heres some random shit we found last week up upper soda off hw 20.

On the night before heading out on a road trip to put up some routes:

Sweeeeet GOD IM STOAKED... this is the kinda shit I eat up... Looks absolutly killer.

Mark, you are not getting those hangers back!

Shapp is sad tonight

Edited by shapp

Sad. Feel so low to hear this. He was here well before I ever joined, didn't know him personally but always enjoyed his rabblerousing and consummate "CC" ethos personified. Great to hear details about the real deal. Indeed we've lost way too many this year.

Jeff Thomas asked me to post this up for him:

"Hey Tyler thanks for trying and occasionally succeeding in getting this old goat back on the rocks. You were the only 20 something that actually cared what the 60 and 70 somethings had done and had to say about it, and yes, you even sometimes listened to us. FIP - fly in peace - and RIP - rebolt in peace. Jeff Thomas"

For_Cascade_Climbers_resized.jpg

Photo title: Tyler Adams and Pat Callis on the summit of the Hen, Menagerie 2013

I struggle to put into words how amazing climbing with Tyler was. I'm with Layton on just how unique Tyler was, not really giving a shit about what other people thought. When going out with him you knew it was true adventure time, just for the love of getting into the unknown.

He's done so much for the climbing community in Oregon, putting up new routes and helping bringing back old sketch ones(Santiam Hwy Ledges). Hell Tyler replaced bolts and anchors on sport routes he didn't even care to climb. That is the kind of person he was, always willing to contribute.

One of my favorites was cragging at Smith one day and Mark D and Tyler show up to run up some easy dirty crack. Tons of newbs around and these two show up with a bag of red wine. Tyler takes off on lead and after about 40 feet with no gear placed, Mark yells up "Hey is there any reason i'm holding this end of the rope?"

Thanks for all the memories Tyler, you were one of a kind. I will miss him.

JL

The other fatality of the midair plane collision was Captain Thomas Weiss of Roseburg.

Tyler's aeronautical videos posted as "Chosstronaut"

https://www.youtube.com/user/chosstronaut

7 more secret CC.com avatars also gone. I knew of a few. There was "The Ospray" where he pretended to be a very experienced big wall climber who had climbed El Cap many times. Alpine glower, who he pretended to have just moved back here from Illinois but he pretended that he had already climbed all those new routes in the Sweet Home area and not gotten FA attribution for was another. Then there was Cordroy Man, Tyler pretending to be a newbie climber was the most polite and gracious of the lot and hard not to like (for a pretend person). jack herer and Pass the Chongo Chongo were a couple of his pretend people on Supertopo. I heard that he had 7 pretend people he played on Cascade Climbers, but I only know these for sure. Guess we'll never know all of the pretend people he played now.

None of us know how long any of us have left on the clock although I would have believed I'd have much less than Tyler. A reminder for all of us to treat others with kindness and generosity: and to live each moment well, for all too soon, this will end.

Regards to all, and thanks for the heads up Wayne.

A few more Tylerism's from our conversations over the years, which all of his friends will appreciate:

On unscrupulous guidebook authors (an email he sent to a particular author he distained and CCed me on):

YOU FUCKING COPIED MY INFORMATION I POSTED FOR FREE RIGHT OFF THE INTERNET FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL SATISFACTION!!!

On gainful? employment:

I am in, assuming I don't get one of those job things...

On gear responsibilities:

Cool I'll supply the liqour/hangers then ;)

On climbing during sub-optimal conditions:

Managed to climb morgul vale on sunday in a fucking down pour with my friend steve. Was pretty funny, soaking wet on every pitch, but good to know you can still climb it in the rain, fuckin-a that rocks got friction.

Edited by shapp

Jeff Thomas asked me to post this up for him:

"Hey Tyler thanks for trying and occasionally succeeding in getting this old goat back on the rocks. You were the only 20 something that actually cared what the 60 and 70 somethings had done and had to say about it, and yes, you even sometimes listened to us. FIP - fly in peace - and RIP - rebolt in peace. Jeff Thomas"

For_Cascade_Climbers_resized.jpg

Photo title: Tyler Adams and Pat Callis on the summit of the Hen, Menagerie 2013

That particular climb with Pat meant a lot to Tyler, in his own words:

The Callis Route with Callis!

Earlier this summer I got a call from Jeff Thomas asking if I wanted to hike up to the Menagerie and climb the classic Callis Route on the Hen with non other than Pat Callis himself. So obviously I was game and really quite excited. Now I don't have a ton to say about the climbing that day since all we did was climb the Hen a couple times so Jeff could shoot video and snap some pictures. But god damn was it cool to hang out with Pat, he's over 70 and still cranks as hard as your average 25 year old. His memory from the day of the FA of the Hen was as clear as they day he did it, which by the way was back in the 50's before %99 of us had ever put on a harness. Pat is now a professor at Montana State University, climbs regularly, and even still climbs ice as much as he can. A true inspiration for anyone!

Edited by shapp

Shocking and very sad to read about. Exchanged many emails with Tyler over the years (mostly it was me asking him about some cool looking obscurity that he’s put up or cleaned up) and ran into him a few times. Always seemed very enthusiastic and willing to share beta. Sincerest condolences to his family and friends.