South Sister Inquiry

Bsummers

Greetings y'all,

I have decided to leave the South ( New Orleans) for Thanksgiving break and will be heading to Eugene, Oregon to meet up with cousins. We are all very active and love the outdoors. We will be in the Eugene area from Nov 27-29th.

I would really really like to climb South Sister however I haven't been able to find much information online about climbing it in November. Being the end of November and winter is it not advised to climb South Sister at this time? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

What else could we do outdoors around the Eugene area that would give us the true Oregon experience?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to reading feedback.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That time of year is a crap shoot. Assuming you are taking the scree trail, there may not be too much snow but there could be a enough to make it miserable (a little snow on scree sucks). The other is weather in general, again a crap shoot. Could be nice could be pissing horizontal rain. So if you go be prepared for any type of weather and if a storm kicks in go down, white outs can get you lost very easily.

Personally, I would head to the coast for the day. Even when pissing down I like the Oregon coast. Stop into Newport have bowl of Moe's Clam Cowder and a beer.

I would really really like to climb South Sister however I haven't been able to find much information online about climbing it in November.
November is one of the stormiest months in the PNW, so most likely conditions up there will be very white.

As mentioned above the coast is an excellent alternative - Heceta beach or Honeymon Dunes are great spots. A good nearby hiking option is Spencer's Butte or, if you rock climb, the Columns or drive on over to Smith Rock. Smith is in the entirely different high desert environment and much more likely to be dry than Eugene. Have fun y'all!