[TR] Mt. Olympus - Hoh River approach 8/10/2014

Bigtree

Trip: Mt. Olympus - Hoh River approach

Date: 8/10/2014

Trip Report:

Myself and a group of friends from Vancouver Island summited Mt. Olympus last weekend. This was my second attempt. The first was 4 years ago in early May. Had to turn around at the lateral moraine above Blue Glacier due to poor conditions. This time around the conditions couldn't have been better.

We caught the 6 am Coho Ferry from Victoria and made it to the trail-head by noon. Instead of a marathon single push to Glacier Meadows like my 2010 trip, we hiked into 9 mile camp day 1 and then completed the final 8 mile approach to Glacier Meadows Saturday.

Sunday morning we left camp at 2:30 am under a full moon. Travel across the Blue Glacier, up onto the Snow Dome, through Crystal Pass and onto the summit by 9 am was straight-forward. Seems to me we were back to camp by noon or so and hiked back out to 9 mile camp later that afternoon and then out to the trail-head Monday morning.

Coho Ferry ride to Pt. Angles

IMG_1818.jpg

Our "wee" group

IMG_1825.JPG

Lateral moraine overlooking the Blue Glacier

IMG_1844.jpg

Beautiful sunrise for us as we were cresting the Snowdome Sunday morning

IMG_1850.JPG

The Autobahn rte was clearly out so we opted for the somewhat indirect, but pleasant Crystal Pass variation

IMG_1852-PANO.jpg

Climbing the summit block was very straight-forward. Definitely a classic 5.4. I used a single nut and a 2" cam for protection along with a 60 m rope.

IMG_1861.jpg

summer%25202014%2520521.JPG

Belaying the group up

IMG_1863.jpg

Here's a short 360 from the summit (some day I'll remember to hold my iPhone sideway for better/wider angle view)

60 m rope was perfect for rappel off

IMG_5485.JPG

Gear Notes:

As little as possible.

- Very small alpine rack.

- 60 m 8.2 mm Petzl Dragonfly

- Ice screw & picket

Approach Notes:

Hoh River approach.

Maintaining happy feet is a key success factor for this one and so wore sneakers for the entire approach.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...